View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 08:05 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Lt and Neil

We only got to a PX when at the main base, i.e. 3 day stand down. Would load up on cigs plus, of course, we had the C-rat ones that Neil didn't sell to the Nazi's. Our C's were also very old left overs. I agree with Neil on the pound cake....was my favorite. That and applesauce. Got sick of the fruit coctail as my Daddy and Momma used to send lots of it. Traded it off for applesauce.

Neil, when I say my prayers I'll let daddy know what you said. He's been with his WWII buddies since 2000. He'll get a kick out of it. Love your story about GI ingenuity. It was like us using C-4 to cook our Rats.

Larry....except for the E1 pay, which I do remember and E2 which was what, $5 more, because after Jump School was in Hawaii before Vietnam. Honolulu beer was 2-3 bucks each back then. One night in town usually broke you for the rest of the month and you were back to .50 cent pitchers of beer at the beer garden on base, fast. The other pay, like my E5 is a guess. I could be way wrong but it's what I remember. Would be great if you could find some pay stubs.....as your amazed about our memories, I'm amazed anyone would still have a pay stub.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote