View Single Post
Old 08-10-2003, 09:16 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Hi Bill!

Very interesting, in a number of dimensions. I wonder why this new film that's out took the name "Buffalo Soldiers", the review I read of it has nothing at all to do with negro troops or the Indian Wars! Can you decipher that?

One thing that came to mind from your post is how indespensible the human soldier is, no matter how advanced their weapons EVER are. One could lay out the very worst junk equipment, as they apparently did for the Buffalo troopers, and they'll turn that garbage into loyal, strong and effective service to country.

Also, I was made to remember, from what you wrote, how so often I myself am mystified when various talking heads claim that we have such a racial problem in america. I guess in some ways we do, but even going back to the time we're discussing, relations are basically good between races... and it's the exception when they aren't!

How well, or regularly, does the book tell us were Buffalo Soldiers given their due in promotions to NCO and Officer ranks?

Also, given that some of us more stubborn patriots would insist that the Civil War was NOT about slavery, it would not surprise me that "defeated" southerners then in the Yankee army out there wouldn't have had much problem at all serving with or commanding negro troops. As I read history, darn few Confederates ever "owned" (or even saw) a slave or had much problem living side by side in harmony. Most of us who never were among the Plantation-owner class born in the South grew up with negro people cheek by jowl, and never thought a thing about it. I realize there are plenty of exceptions, but those have always struck me as being the tail wagging the dog now that the KKK and their pals have been neutralized (I HOPE!).

I gotta read that book...
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote