View Single Post
Old 02-14-2009, 06:15 AM

Default Hi Ron

No, wasn't NGF trained. the "1-4" in the call sign is the clue. My job was FO for close air support, and also medevacs, resupply, or any kinds of comm between the Korean Marine company (or platoon in the instance of the recon platoon) and Marine Corps air. With recon it was a "team" of one usually. With the companies it was 2-man teams until Jan '68 when they went to 3-man teams, if my memory is correct.

The largest group of "Sub Unit One" was detached to the 2nd ROK Marine Bde, the "Blue Dragons". When I arrived in Oct '67 the brigade was in the Binh Son Province of southern I-Corps, I was on a recon OP on a mountain near a little village called An Hoa (same name as the larger vill up south of DaNang. Then with 11th Co. at Trabindong (this was 9 months AFTER 2 NVA regiments and a VC btn made the mistake of attempting to overrun the company position).

Then in late December '67, the entire brigade moved through the port of Chu Lai to Danang by troop ships, then by truck down to the new Hoi An TAOR. We were not even used to the area yet when 31 Jan 1968 arrived.

Thanks for the welcome, Ron. When were you there, when, and who with?

Last edited by ANGLICOone; 02-14-2009 at 03:17 PM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote