Thread: Draft Women
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2004, 06:12 PM

I believe that yes there should be an equal draft for both men and women.
As one of the first wave of women aircraft mechanics in the AF I was required to pass the same physical test as the men. I lifted my own toolbox out to the plane. The men had a dolly for their toolbox but would sometimes give me a tough time if I used one. On one such day, I was tending to a C141 filled with Marines heading to Cherry Point. I was pulling my toolbox along the tarmac on the dolly and a group of these guys started taunting me. I stopped, smiled and said in a sweet southern drawl..."Why don't one o' you boys come on over and carry this here heavy tool box for a lady?" One of the guys got this big grin on his face and came over to "help". When he tried to lift the box he just about hurt his little self. This was a special "Crew Chief" box that weighed over a hundred pounds. He gave new meaning to the word Grunt.

You see it doesn't always take brawn to get the job done. Sometimes you just need to do a smarter job. By the way...back then I weighed less than the toolbox.

The only issue that I see is unfair is that you will have many women getting pregnant on purpose to avoid a draft. I've many civilian friends who have said that they would do this to avoid going to war. I have turned and told them that they are fools. Men don't have this option and that I find most unfair. Not to mention the poor child, what kind of life would they really have?

Besides, I don't like any kind of draft men or women. You never get the best of the crop nor do you get very good results. Oh they will serve to avoid jail, but will they do a very good job if their heart isn't in it? Some may change their minds after they've been in, but most dont want to be there so why should they put forth the effort.

Okay now I'm rambling...sorry.
DL
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote