View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 09:07 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Guy's thank you for the kind words I have always loved history and it is much more fun when you are so close to the source.

I have searched over the last 8 or so years on info, much as Todd has trying to find out more info on my dad’s squadron, much to no avail or very limited info.

I too tried the AF museum, as I remember visiting when we were at Chanute and went over to Wright – Pat and they at that time had a small display of the “Dirty Thirty”

I did at one time find info that my dad totally disputes and that is in the origin of the name “The Dirty Thirty”

According to AF museum it was said they never changed their uniforms often so they were “Dirty Pilots” According to my dad when they first got together someone in the squadron remembered a college football team known as the “Dirty Thirty” and that is how they came up with the name. Probably at the officer’s club over to many scotch’s (remember the Army only drinks beer <☺ ) the Air Force drink’s scotch!!!

You can imagine at 14 or 15 in approx 67 – 68, the profound pride in seeing your dad’s picture along with 29 others, 1 KIA, in the AF museum !! It really felt like looking at 30 of the finest pilot’s in the world!

I hope to ad much more to this thread. It’s also in my spare time !!! Inspired me to maybe write an article “ Air Force Brat, even worse an officer’s Brat at that”

Dave
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote