View Single Post
Old 04-25-2003, 11:04 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Hello Patriotfiles!

Hello Patriotfiles,

Greetings from the tail-end of Basic Training! Yup, Almost through this phase of my training. Next week is the last full week of training. We will be doing everything from throwing grenades to the final PT test and a night fire to eagle tower (repelling), plus a lot of other events - the schedule is packed. The Next Week is the FTX (field training exercise) Monday-Wed. and then until the 30th of April is all the end of Basic. Cleaning and Moving And Recovery. The 30th is Family Day (My Parents are flying in all the way from Nebraska) and MAY 1st is graduation. May 2nd I am shipped all the way across the Base for OCS. OCS does not start until the 5th of May. No idea what goes on between the 2nd and 5th . . . . the rumor is detail shifts.

Well, I've been doing my best to live up to the High Standards of the Title "Patriotfiles Son." I qualified "sharpshooter" on the M-16AZ, I am in contention for the physical fitness badge and have managed to have been named squad leader as soon as our platoon was assembled peer leaders . . . . and haven't been fired yet!

I came to Basic sure I would shoot expert, but as soon as my old habits taken away and new ones being started to get worked in I realized that qualifying at all would be great. Before qualification day I had only shot at marksman level ( qualifying order from worst to best - fail/no-go, marksman, sharpshooter, expert.) A member of patriotfiles who reads every post but doesn't often participate" sent me a great letter with a prayer written on the other side. I read the prayer which I carried with me that day, right before I made my shots at the targets to qualify better than expected. .

Our Final PT test is on Friday. I have receiving a little special attention from a drill sergeant that calls me "OLIVE" after receiving a letter from a certain member of Patriotfiles. I know that any attention is suppose to be bad at Basic, but this good stuff. I get a lot of help on my form and on building as much strength and stamina in the correct muscles. As a result I AM barely outside the reps needed for the Army Fitness Badge! I am Positive with the couple of days recovery we are given before it, I'll smash the numbers required!

I have received lots of mail from patriotfiles members, and anyone thats ever been through the military training can tell you how much that means! It was a fateful day that "SEATJERKER" found me at another forum and invited me over to Patriotfiles. The amount of support I've received has been incredible since my very first visit. A great example of the Army/Military family-type attitude which I honestly thought was recruitment propaganda. This Soldier is PROUD to be in the Family!

I only have 20 minutes left on my shift and have two more letters to write. Thank you for your great support and thanks to Keith for keeping you all connected. Keith still has my address but I'm not sure what my new address will be after May 1. I know I'll still be at Ft. Benning. When I get my new address I'll make sure its updated.

Bradley Pietzyk AKA THE BRAD
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote