View Single Post
Old 02-02-2004, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tamaroa Des,

The United States flag flew over slavery for 80 years.
Wasn't it four-score and seven?

The flags of MOST countries in existence today flew over slavery, often for HUNDREDS of years, but for some reason everyone looks at Southerners as the epitome of the evil racist state.

Personally, I guess like other folk around the world, I'm NOT real proud of that part of my heritage, but it was there and, unlike them, I won't say it wasn't and I won't apologize for it.

In the part of Kentucky I'm from there were hardly any slaves. I guess I could ascribe some altruistic motives to that, but the fact is that the reason there were no slaves in the mines is because slaves were actually worth something; if poor white trash like me died in a cave-in, that was one less paltry wage to pay -- if a slave died, that was a lost investment. Slaves actually had value.

I honestly believe the North was both legally and morally wrong to wage the so-called civil war the way it did, and I truly believe Lincoln was one of the worst presidents this country has ever had, but I'm damn glad it turned out like it did. We can argue about states' rights and causes until the sky falls, but the fact remains that a great evil was undone, or at least ended.

And I guess that was what I was trying to say earlier. People (generally) look at the Southern Cross (a rather meaningless naval ensign) and see the bad, or they see the pride, and really in the end it's just a symbol, regardless of what it's creators intended it to be. It's a battle standard; it's not the stars and bars.

When I see the Southern Cross I immediately examine who's carrying it. If it's a re-enactment group or someone trying to really honor southern heritage, I can respect that. If it's some A-Hole in a white hood, I couldn't care less if he gets run over by a car on the way to the rally.

Kentucky might have gone the middle road during the great war, but I'm damn proud to live in her. We call her Dixie's darlin', and I proudly call myself a southerner.

I can't make slavery never happen. I can't take back what was. All I can do is be proud of the good things we were and be ashamed of the bad things -- and not be ashamed to be ashamed of the bad things. If that makes any sense.