View Single Post
Old 08-28-2005, 07:38 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by revwardoc Bluehawk,

I may have told this story before but:

A former co-worker is a member of a Civil War re-enactment battery (Union). Their "commander" is a wealthy man who has often purchased civil war era cannons from communities. On a business trip to Georgia, he was driving through a small town and noticed a cannon in the local cemetery. It had several coats of grey paint but still looked in faily good conidition. He inquired about it and was told that it had been there for as long as anyone could remember and that kids would toss M-80's and cherry bombs down the barrel on the 4th. A purchase price was agreed upon and he had it shipped home. He arranged for it to be x-rayed for cracks and made a startling discovery... it was still loaded with double cannister shot...and the powder was still good! Fortunately the touchhole was covered over so it couldn't be fired. Now that would've made a very big bang on a 4th celebration.
Good grief... what a story! Good thing those kids had not paid attention to their history ordnance lessons on PBS

I think the news article I read about the cannons had to do with someone who was intentionally buying up cannon solely for resale... who knows, it could have been sour grapes.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote