Thread: Dec 67
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 11:46 AM

Superscout wrote: "I would think that anybody even attempting to write about their expereinces in Vietnam would at least know the difference between a C-123 and a C-130."

Guys,

Supercourt is right on the money. These aircraft were workhorses during the war so I would guess anyone there would have at least learned the difference. But I will take it a step further. I thought that I read where wannabee Ron claimed to be, or implied that he was, Airborne qualified. I could be wrong on that point because I am still reading about him, but I guaran-damn-tee you that any airborne qualified serviceman, regardless of branch of service, knew the primary jump acraft at that time of their service. They knew one from another without giving it a moment's thought. Primary jump aircraft back then were C-119s, C-130s and C-123s. Yes, folks jumped many other aircraft back then, but those were the exception. The C-119s were used at jump school, but nearly every jump I made after jump school was made from a C-130 or a C-123 and Like Superscout said, there was no comparrison between the two aircraft and anyone spending time in them surely knew the difference. By the way, my favorite was the C-123, but I know other jumpers had different preferrences.

We would not have made it past ground week at Jump School had we ever referred to a C-123 as a "Mini C-130 with 2 engines ." That would be the same as a Marine referring to their Globe and Anchor as a map of the planet with a boat weight and rope. Give me a break!!! This wannabee Ron is almost comical.

Robert
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote