Thread: Question
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2006, 06:19 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Oh the Wannabes

Well, I don't know for sure about Airborne AIT but I do know something about the SF and one of my SF friends (SOG also) Col. (Ret) Mark Ponzillo) happened to Commanding officer of the jump school at Ft. Benning. Another SF Friend, SMG Farrell, (SOG also) Was SMG of the Ranger School. SO here are some opinions.

1. This guy is overrun with bull shit.
In the 60s and 70s you had to be E5 or above and to apply for SF, you had to be 21 or over (but was waiverable) You had to reinlist for the assignment 4 years normally but i am pretty sure a doc had to do 6 year reup because the sf portion of medical training was a year. NOBODY went to sf from basic or ait or as ait.

Exceptions to above. UNFLASHED, You could be assigned to a SF unit not as sf qualified and worm your way in but you could not wear the SF Flash or Tab. An example would be assigned as a cook, motor pool, admin ETC. You would still have to go to SFQC and still have to reup to do it probably to weapons mos as it is the shortest. Chances of this happening are right up there with the lottery. Officers Could be assigned SF with no age limit or specialized training.

Mark says there was no airborne AIT.

NO 1st Shirt is going to kick you out for getting pussy.in fact no 1sg is going to do anything for reassignment. NOW what would get you courtsmartialed and busted out would be signing out on a friday for downtown and showing up 5 or 6 days later having been in california. Wonder how he did that with no leave papers.