Thread: Korean War?
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2003, 05:46 AM

catman,

I once reported that I didn't know a hell of alot about the Korean war. Saw some news reports and know it was one hell of a cold war (literally).

So I just picked up a book to read called: MacArthur's War Korea and the undoing of an Amerian Hero by Stanly Weintraub. In just three years 35,000 lost their lives with 6000 MIA's. I haven't gotten too far into the book but if I pick up more specifics I'll let you know.

I've also read that in VN the 12 year war cost 55,000 American lives with thousands more missing.

Conflicts or call them wars the cost are very high. It's a terrible burden to carry and hard on the families who are left with a hole in their hearts for the rest of their lives.

IN VN I lost several friends and a few school buddies. I've seen their families and they are just devastated. Iraq will cost lives as well on both sides but it has to be done. Radicals or eccentrics like these must be taken out and the cost to do this is hard to conceive. Yet down the road these lives are often times forgotten because no one wants to open old wounds.

I recall my Dad and Uncle talking about WWII and my Grandpa about WWI. They could remember some of the funny things that happen but when it came to the killing of other's or seeing their friends killed this made them speechless.

Shit happens and lives are lost. By the grace of God they will be remembered by those of us who were in conflicts and to those who gave their lives I salute them and regret their passing but its also hard on those who came back as they carry these pictures everyday. Flashbacks - some in color can make you sweat just like you were there. They become part of your everyday life and at times you shudder (like your cold) for no apparant reason but doctors can tell you why it happens.

Another conflict with NK and other's will carry the same losses and bring back more memories to those who fight there. I always used to say I'd rather fight there than have our folks see what war can do. OK and 9/11 have given our folks a quick idea of what terrible things our people will go through - like many others in the world have already been exposed to - and many for years - Israel for example. Conflict is real - it takes lives and even those who are non-combants.

This concept of perpetual war or conflicts have been going on for years. I don't know too many that haven't particapated in one or more conflicts. I want peace - but I also want our people safe. If this means a 100 year war it will end some day.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote