View Single Post
Old 01-27-2003, 01:24 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Just an observation

It would seem that the South had a more highly structure caste system for society than the North and especially the West.

We were probably, as dairy farmers, lower middle income folks. But, being raised in the desert West of Eastern Oregon nobody seemed to be caste conscience.

I always resented the rich dry land wheat ranchers. Only worked six months a year at the most. Made the most money. Vacationed in Arizona and Hawaii. And complained the most about the weather and grain prices. While us Dairy Farmers worked 365 days a year. Grain ranchers work hard in the fall and for a short time in the spring. They really work hard during harvest but nobody is going to convince me they work as hard as dairy farmers.

I went off to College when I was 18. Ran out of Money after two years. Tried working for a year. Got drafted before I could get back into College. Finished College after I got out.

I am an Assemblies of God pastor.

Out West, a red-neck usually refers to a person with conservative politics. So us who are conservatives wear the badge of red-neck with pride. But, down your way it may not be so.

Keith

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote