View Single Post
Old 03-09-2003, 06:47 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Talking Proud parents of a Navy Sailor

It's my Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal certificate. The paragraph at the bottom says I got it for:

Professional achievement while serving as Gun Mount Technician during Naval Surface Firing Support (NSFS) Exercises in USS McCampbell (DDG-85) from November to December 2002. Petty Officer performed his duties in an exemplary and highly professional manner. Displaying outstanding skill and responsibility, he was critical in the repair and maintenance of the 5"/ 62 Caliber Gun which saved thousands of dollars in repair costs. His initiative and drive made it possible for the ship to conduct several highly successful firing missions. Petty Officer 's initiative, perserverance and loyal devotion to duty reflected credit upon himself and were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

Given the 28th day of February 2003 Mark C. Montgomery
Commander, U. S. Navy
Commanding Officer, USS McCampbell (DDG-85)

I have seen many people get these for bullshit like doing their every day job just to make that division look better. I earned mine with blood, sweat and tears in that gun mount four times over fixing the same broken part, finding the cause before the "experts" that designed it and fixing it. I'm very proud of this medal, and I hope to earn more.

See ya,
Pete