View Single Post
Old 01-27-2004, 01:38 AM

Just my two cents worth.

War's hell, for sure. And no one hates war as much as a warrior. But wouldn't you agree that there has to be a time that you stand up and say no, even if it means that you'll have to put yourself in harm's way?

I often equate our military interventions to save other countries (sometimes from their selves) as being a man who comes upon a woman being raped. There are no cops around. We are her only means of salvation. We have only two choices. We can wade in and assist her, and, if need be, fight her attacker off at risk to ourselves or we can stand feebly by and watch the rape. And if we DO NOTHING, does that not make us complicit in that rape, at least by our refusal to try to stop it?

Now, being a man raised to believe in personal integrity and the need to stand up when the need arises, I would have a hell of a time living with myself if I were to stand idly by when there was something I could do. And when you get right down to it, I at least, joined the military to protect and serve my country and those with whom my country had decided it was our responsibility to defend as well.

So yeah...that means that sometimes you have to war upon others. Sometimes you have to accept that warring on others can be painful. It's never the easy choice. We leave our homes and our loves and our lives to become avenging angels of sorts, and sometimes we're portrayed as a plague of devils. But angels or devils, we've helped a hell of a lot of people in the past 228 years.

Jake
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote