View Single Post
Old 09-13-2003, 12:17 AM

This is a bit of an old thread, but I've just joined. From a Canadian perspective, I would state that the American Revolution was America's first Civil War: father against son, brother against brother.

My ancestors fled New Jersey in 1783, leaving behind all their worldly possessions and a great many family members. I believe that they placed great value on their oath of allegiance (something that George Washington, who swore allegiance to the Crown seemed to have forgotten).

The Revolution is considered the impetus to the creation of modern Canada. Prior to the war, this country was rural in nature, and mainly populated by peasant French Canadian farmers. The influx of thousands of United Empire Loyalists changed all that. We are still a monarchy today, and a modern democracy.

Some historians have estimated that one in six Canadians have a Loyalist ancestor (although with the large numbers arriving in the recent past that is changing).

From my readings, the British lost the war because they had generals who were either incompetent or reluctant to press the issue.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote