View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 01:05 PM

Thanks. I appreciate you sharing your story.

When we finished AIT in late Nov. 69, I remember some 0311's being assigned to FMF 2nd Div for a Med cruise. They took some flack for skating out of WESTPAC, but few were complaining. Only about a month later I had a choice only because our particular staging company found itself reassigned back to 2nd Div. The top sgt said he'd put in the paperwork to get anyone transferred that wanted to stay with WESTPAC. Most of those that asked, got it, but it wasn't a majority. We all went through a lot of mental preparation while in AIT. Add in what we were hearing about what was going on politically and in the country, it was a confusing time. But it was nothing compared to what you guys in the bush must have felt. My decision to not "ask for it" has haunted me since then.

Due to the course of politics and I guess dumb-luck timing of when we were born or joined, we were part of the beginning of the scale down. Thereafter, more grunts had their orders changed while still in AIT. Most of my company got transfered to FMF 2nd Div to either an expeditionary force, rapid-reaction team, Gitmo, or retrained. I believe the Corps in 1970 was faced with a larger batch of grunts than it needed due to the shift in mission priorities in 69 and buildup in earlier years.

-----

Make every effort to live well the rest of your days, my friend. You have my deepest respect at having served under the worst conditions and I'm sorry that our country has been so slow to recognize your commitment and sacrifice.

Semper Fi, Marine
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote