Thread: "Lock & Load"?
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2003, 01:41 PM

Default BLUEHAWK

My father was a Choctaw from Texas, Grandmother from the reservation in Oklahoma. I learned about tracking and hunting from an early age. He taught me safety and respect for weapons as soon as I could hold one. These were lessons I will never forget and try to pass on to those who were not as fortunate as I was.

In the Army, it finally dawned on me that most people didn't have the same experience I had as a youth, cut them some slack and trained them in the proper handling of firearms. Most people are not "stupid", they are just untrained and have to be given the chance to learn. It's like learning to drive, you aren't born with the ability, but you can be taught.

I agree that there should be classes taught in High School. If students had proper training there would be fewer gun accidents and a greater respect for the damage weapons can inflict. I would feel more secure going into the woods with someone who has handled a weapon all his/her life than someone who just bought it last week at K-Mart.