View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 12:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to QM3steve
Distinctions
Contributor 

Police are now confirming the gun used by 23-year-old Travis Trim to kill Trooper David Brinkerhoff and injure Trooper Richard Mattson was found inside the farmhouse where Trim was hiding out. The high-powered rifle was used to shoot Brinkerhoff in the head and Mattson in the arm.

Other Developments

Major Kevin Molinari, of State Police Troop C, confirmed the identification of Trim at a press conference in Sidney. Trim's charred remains were removed overnight from the ruins of what was a summer home outside of rural Margaretville. Major Molinari says that an autopsy will be conducted on Trim Thursday afternoon at the Albany Medical Center.

Trooper David C. Brinkerhoff, 29, of Coxsackie, died after being shot at 8:45AM Wednesday. Trooper Richard Mattson was listed in serious but stable condition with an arm wound at Albany Medical Center Hospital.

State Police exchanged gunfire with the suspect between 11 a.m. and noon Wednesday, but do not know whether the fire or the gunshots killed the man. The body was found in a second-floor doorway, holding a rifle.

A robot with a camera was sent into the home Wednesday afternoon, but was unable to check one of the rooms because of the layout of the farmhouse, so police used a smoke bomb to try to remove Trim. No one came out, and half the home burned in a massive fire.

Trim is suspected of shooting Trooper Matthew Gombosi on Tuesday. Luckily, Gombosi's bullet-proof vest saved his life. He was treated at a local hospital and has since been released.

I worked about ten miles from that house today. The sense of relief that the locals have is incredible. I'll see if I can get some pics tomorrow.