View Single Post
Old 10-10-2002, 05:51 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Hi Jeff,

If you are talking about that OTHER site, yes, I tangled with a number of people about the Confederate Battleflag. we had more civil discussions about it on alan's site at one point, as well.

To All:
Please purchase a large portfolio paperback book by Devereaux D. Canon entitled, Flags of the Confederacy an Illustrated History.
I promise you that you will learn more about the Confederate flag and its origins than you would probably care to but it tells you in detail how the original flag design came about and how the battleflag made its appearance. Initially it was one of the proposals for the National Flag but with less stars and it was derided as looking like a pair of suspenders.

You also will learn about the origin of the state flags and a real interesting tidbit about the fact that three former Confederate states fly the same flags that they flew during the Civil War when those flags flew over slavery. Interestingly enough no one is castigating them for still flying those flags!!!

At any rate the book is full of interesting facts and should be read by anyone who intends to debate for or against the Confederate Battle Flag.

Bill

King John 2.1.466
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote