View Single Post
Old 11-10-2003, 04:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to USNLSC Send a message via Yahoo to USNLSC
Thumbs up

Another report on the truck and parade here in Sacramento:

Hello!

I had a glorious weekend!

Ice cream social at Howe Elementary:

I walked into a brightly-lit cafeteria filled with the biggest grins and happiest voices of children decorating their cafeteria for their beloved vets. Patriotism was in the air! The families walked around the room as the children proudly showed their writing samples, artwork and decorations for "the soldiers." And indeed two soldiers came: 2 marines who proudly admired the room, the school's efforts, the yummy ice cream and the patriotism. They presented the colors and wowed the kids with their solemn dignity. As I left that evening I heard many a young voice say, "I'm going to be a Marine."

Veterans' Day Parade:

The crew of dedicated teachers from the night before showed up at the Bunker to decorate the pickup. With Phelps' gift of breakfast and last-minute trips to pick up more red white and blue supplies, the end result was a beautiful array of red white and blue stars/stripes/hearts/bows and flags.

The best part was yet to come:

We had over a dozen children and their moms in the float singing "This Land is Your Land," chanting "U.S.A," calling out "Hello" to anyone who was listening and waving their flags.

Over five people stopped what they were doing along the parade route and saluted these young patriots. Every person who saw them waved back. Tons clapped as the children passed. Why? They were the ONLY elementary school there. They know the meaning of pride, dignity, dedication and appreciation. Here they are:

http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/s...-8694786c.html

The result:

Dave Jenest (our flunky-in-charge and float driver) and the teachers of Howe Elementary have decided to make the ice cream social and the Parade entry an annual event. And I, for one, will be with them.

Thank you to teacher Vicki, Alice and all the other teachers, Dave, the moms and dads and most of all the children and the vets for a most magical weekend.

~Marisa
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote