View Single Post
Old 08-05-2002, 08:23 AM

Talking The gene pool is a little shallow

I work at a computer manufacturing facility and am also a licensed volunteer Emergency Medical Technician (EMT). One day I was dispatched to one of our manufacturing buildings and found a young man that had suffered tramatic amputation of three fingers from his right hand. He was bleeding profusly, dispite attempts by his fellow workers to stem the flow of blood. As I worked to apply the appropriate pressure bandages, I asked if anyone witnessed the accident. A young man introduced himself as the injured man's supervisor and stated that he had indeed witnessed the accident.
He related how the first man had gotten his hand stuck in the conveyor belt, while attempting to retrieve a part that had fallen between the belt and the runniong mechanism.
I completed applying the bandage and as the injured man was being loaded onto a gurny for transport to the ambulance and subsequently the hospital, I asked the supervisor to show me where the accident happened. We walked a few feet to the appropriate spot and the supervisor, without prompting, proceeded to show me exactly how the accident happened, even up the point of duplicating the incident of inserting his hand between the conveyor belt and running gears. The supervisor only lost two fingers !