Thread: The Wall
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2006, 08:57 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Unhappy My Visits to the Wall

I have made several trips to The Wall in the past few years. It is always an emotional experience for me and I have been the victim of sudden Sandstorms during each visit. Some are light and others very heavy to the point that I can no longer see. The Sandstorms start while I visit Panel #45 West and the name of my Best Buddy, HM3 Alan R. Gerrish. The Sandstorms continue until I reach out and touch the inscription of Alan's name. It is almost like he is telling me. "It is all right Buddy. I want you to get on with your life. We will be together again some day." I am then able to leave Panel #45 West and pay my respects to other Vietnam Veterans that also made the ultimate sacrifice during their Tours of Duty.

Other Vietnam Veterans have also been a source of comfort to me when those Sandstorms were exceptionally severe. On one instance I had stopped at Panel #45 West and was having a hard time seeing straight. Another Vietnam Veteran, who was in a Wheel Chair and missing one leg, was being pushed by another man at the time. The Vietnam Veteran was wearing a Vietnam Veteran Baseball Cap and a Field Jacket that was the type issued during the 1960s. When that Vet saw how emotional I was, he told the guy that was pushing him to stop and help him up from his chair. That Vietnam Veteran then gave me a big hug and stated "It is all right. I know what you are going through as I have been there myself." He then told me: WELCOME HOME Brother: He then asked the other guy to help him back into his chair and they both then continued on.

That act of kindness, from a man that had far more to feel sorry about then I did, helped me to cope and has made each subsequent visit to The Wall a little easier. While the Sandstorms still bother me, I think of that unknown Vietnam Veteran and his act of kindness. Healing really does go on while at The Wall and I advise all other Vietnam Veterans to make at least one visit there. It will help put to rest those Demons that still continue to bother all of us.

I would like to thank that unknown Vietnam Veteran, who took the time to comfort me when I really needed someone else. I would also like to wish him, and all the rest of my Vietnam Veteran Brothers and Sisters a big:

WELCOME HOME:

VIETNAM 1968
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote