View Single Post
Old 07-29-2003, 12:45 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Superscout -
Well, I don't believe it's a conspiracy or anything that subtle. The AEI is right out front with it, every time we get to see them speak in a group at their headquarters or as individuals on the 24-hour news. It's just there, every single time.

- They fit in by having spent the past ten years or more drawing up position papers and talking points which the current administration uses every single day in the formation of foreign policy. Check it out yourself. Look at the history on their website, and then compare what they have been agitatiing about and advocating for with the course our government is taking. You won't have to "read between the lines" very much either.

- I did NOT say that Iraqis do not want democracy. What I said is that the KIND of democracy they are going to receive is not going to be the kind that they would choose if they were left up to their own devices. They were PROMISED a democracy of their own design. They ain't gonna get it.

- A possible corrollary would be how America handled things when Iran democratically elected (twice!) their own government. In the first case, it was overthrown and the Shah was installed... and we all know what came next. Here lately we're at it again in Iran... encouraging opposition to their duly elected Theocracy. If I were a partisan of that opposition, I would not rest easy that the sole remaining super power would be there for us if anything went haywire during transition, so to speak.

- I think, pretty sure anyhow, that the word "quagmire" has come up from the sources just as you mentioned... mainly trying to tie the MILITARY situation in Iraq into what we experienced in Vietnam. That is an erroneous connection, at best. My mention of it was only to suggest that IF there is any quagmire, then it's a political one.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote