The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2005, 08:43 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Exclamation The Soledad Cross!

The separation of church and state was means to prevent a re occurrence of a world in which the power of the church overruled the function of the state.

Back during the Spanish Inquisition, the zeal of some whom professed to be saintly and all knowing, greatly overstepped it?s bounds. People were persecuted and even burned at the stake in the name of religious piety!

The same religious travesties overtook most of Europe back during the Dark Ages and even the Knights Templar themselves, were hunted down and executed (I believe?) on papal order!

Even here in the New World (America), the Spanish and the English alike, brought their superstition to an apex, and many an innocent was eliminated for witchcraft or heresy. It has, and still is (especially within the Middle East) in fashion to murder people whose religious views go contrary to the accepted norm!

Well, here in San Diego County (Mt. Helix and Mt Soledad to be exact), the crosses that top these hills are also under attack. An intolerant minority is demanding that these monuments be removed, and this is especially true of the cross that overlooks the affluent bastion of La Jolla, California!

I believe that the Separation of Church and State is essential in many cases. However, this trend of removal of the Ten Commandments and other moral icons that go part and parcel to respect of law from all public places, has the potential to pull off the reverse of the Spanish inquisition, in my opinion? Instead of lack of compliance to religious mandates leading to one losing his head, adherence to a moral code of any kind may soon find you at odds with the Powers That Be!

The day may again come when religious persecution comes into play, and the dunking stool, the stocks, and even burning at the stake are incorporated again into the law books!

Are we, as it was in Nazi Germany of the late 1930s, again regressing into a society where the demands of a powerful few or even an ever bitching minority, dictate the actions, beliefs and even thinking of the majority?

VERITAS
Old 03-09-2005, 10:55 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default History

Hardcore, you probably knew this but for the record this needs to be said. All of the founding fathers were Christians. All but two or three were Masons, to be a Mason you have to believe in God. The issue of separations of church and state was an issue of denomination. A Baptist living in Virginia might be upset that some of this tax dollars were being spent supporting the Episcopal church. In a state like Maryland that did have a catholic population, they didn?t want to support the Congregational church through tax dollars. That was the entire point of separation of church and state. But like so many laws it has become mis-interpretive, expanded and bares little resemblance to the original intent.

Also, the Spanish Inquisition, and England Star Chamber Court were separate and apart from the King?s civil and criminal court. However, what was done, was generally done with the Kings approval.

The Templars were hunted down and murdered in some countries, not England or Scotland. The story behind that is King Phillip of France wanted a Pope he could control and wasn?t having much luck. As a result he had two consecutive popes murdered. By then he was able to get a Pope elected who was French and even moved the papacy from Rome to southern France. From there the Papal Bull or decree which created the Templars was revoked and old Phil confiscated all their money and lands in France, pure economics.

Has our country (lawyers and judges) gone too far in deciding that the 1st amendment means the government should be anti-religion? You bet your butt.

Hardcore, didn?t mean to sound like a smart a$$ but in my never ending study of history you?ve hit some topics I?ve been studying for 40 years. And of course, I agree with you.

Stay healthy,
Andy
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:12 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Lightbulb

ANDY -

Thanks for the enlightenment! As a matter of fact, I did not know some of what you related and I appreciate the lesson!

The bottom line, however (at least as I see it), is that the vestedly protected few are still attempting to dictate to the empowered many! (opinion)

VERITAS
Old 03-09-2005, 11:44 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default HARDCORE...

"Are we............again regressing into a society... ." ?????????

"Regressing into", HELL!!!
WE'RE ALREADY THERE,...Rick.

Neil
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:15 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Unhappy

Tell me about it Neil - But as the Chinese say: "Hell has many levels, and all too many have not yet reached the lower most floors!"

RICK