Old 04-02-2006, 08:13 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Soldiers learn to deal with PTSD

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/story?id=334445&page=1
Old 04-04-2006, 10:45 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Larry, I got the impression talking to active duty people that it is against the unoffical morays to seek treatment for PTSD. They are told they will not suffer any consequences for seeking treatment but since it is an all volunteer army with a lot of people wishing to make a career of it they are afraid they will be marked by PTSD treatment. I do know my local Vet Center has not seen any from this generation yet. It is a crying shame.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:36 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Doc,

Not sure if that's true all around. Ft Stewart is doing a great job in working with the Readjustment Problems of it's returning Vets and we are doing everything we can to get them in on our side with the wonderful cooperation of the Marine Corps and the General on Parris Island. Many of these guys don't want treatment for their own reasons and many don't seem to need it. Not saying they may not need it later but as I posted before, most I'm seeing are more readjustment than full blown PTSD. I'll talk some with you guys on the mountain.

Leaving in about an hour for Cherry Point, MCAS for a conference on the same. Will put something on the sight when I get back and give an update.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:49 AM
Robert J Ryan

Sure felt I didn't need any treatment after my three tours in Nam. Hell ain't nothing wrong me it everyone else. Just didn't want to get close to anyone, liked being alone, the less I knew about you the better, Okay so the nightmare woke me up, and I couldn't back to sleep, Old Grandad will help me past that, If I make a commitment to you Cathy you'll just end up going away, or worse you will die. What is wrong with me, like I said it ain't me it's everyone else. Geez it's 1989 I'm retired from the military now, why in the hell do I still feel this stupid shit. Went to the VA found I had PTSD, I denied that to, saying not me, maybe someone else has it. After being in PTSD groups for 17 years I'm coping with PTSD and know it is real.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:57 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Tom :

Don't you feel the 1% PTSD rate you quoted is way low. Don't you think, as Fred said, because of the volunteer military, that it is in the best interest of a career not to seek treatment. Also, wouldn't a lot of the PTSD symptoms manifest themselves more after discharge anyway, when you are away from your comrades ? As the Vietnam generation can attest, most will not seek treatment until many years later.

Larry