The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2005, 09:04 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking Free Gas

All the talk about the price of gasoline right now reminded me of this incident:

I'm manning a 60 machinegun on a gun jeep as part of the security for a convoy of tanker trucks headed from Cam Ranh Bay to Ban Me Thuot in the Central Highlands. We head north to Nha Trang, hang a sharp left, and start up into The Highlands. Just before the trucks have to start one of the steepest climbs, we stop for a break. In every truck, besides the driver, there's an armed rifleman. Part of the security force that I'm a member of. Everybody has a chance to get out and stretch, grab a bite of C's, drink a soda, the drivers can check out their trucks, etc..

By this time there's alot of civilian traffic on the road in both directions. Most of it is motorbike traffic. As they pass the convoy of 30+ tanker trucks, alot of them wave at the GI's. They, in turn, smile, wave, or give wolf whistles to some of the prettier girl going by. Stuff that American soldiers have done in every foreign country they've ever been in.

At one point, a guy on a motorbike stops near the end of the convoy where I am. He's got his girlfriend or wife on the back of the bike. They're both in there late teens or early twenties. About most of our ages. They are both dressed very well, suggesting that they are probably from well-to-do families. Alot of us are wondering why he's not in an ARVN uniform. I used to resent this ALOT when I would see male civilians about my age.

Anyway, this guy strikes up a conversation in broken English with the driver and security guard from the truck in front of me. Some of us keep a wary eye on them, as we usually did when civilians would approach us. After a couple of minutes I see the guy jesture to his bike and then to the tanker trailer, obviously asking for some gas for his bike. The driver shakes his head no, but the guy riding shotgun says something to the driver and they nod their heads yes. But they go to the next truck forward. I climb off the jeep to watch them, curious. As they bring the bike up to the side off the truck where the valves are, I notice that the trailer is stenciled in big letters "JP4". I just shake my head and grin. They fill the guy's bike up and he and his girlfriend takes off, happier than pigs in mud. The GI's stand there waving good-bye with shit-eating grins on their faces .
Old 09-03-2005, 11:47 AM

Lightbulb ouch

I bet that Vespa diden't have a valve left in it 10 clicks down the rosd, but what a ride for those 10 clicks .
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 07:32 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

That would have been great to see , amazing some folks don't know JP4 from Gasoline (LOL) now it would run Ok in a diesel engine truck. In Turkey we poured the SPR(single Point refueling) drain fuel (from C141's and C130's) into the trucks when the Base Gas Station was closed
Old 09-04-2005, 10:12 AM
Robert J Ryan

Cruel, very Cruel . Ha, Ha
Old 09-04-2005, 11:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to QM3steve
Distinctions
Contributor 

Lucky he didn't pop a wheelie when he took off.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:38 AM

Lightbulb Multi-fuel

At one time the Army, (I don't know about the other services), had a breif affair with a little MWO to a continental diesel they called the multi-fuel engine. Most diesels can run about any fuel for a period of time, from mo-gas to JP-4, this engine was set up to run any fuel and oil combination. Trying to remember what those combinations were was something else. They found out most people just put in anything and did not watch, and some did it to get a rise out of the Motor Officer . With gas prices going wild maybe that idea should resurface :cd: .
Old 09-05-2005, 07:37 PM

We had a number of the multi-fuel trucks. They would burn anything but 100 octane AVgas. Without, IRRC any adjustments.
We always had diesel for them, 'cause our SP howitzers/guns, M548s and M577 could only burn diesel. And we had to carry gas for the jeeps and 3/4s.