The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2006, 01:59 PM

Default How could they fly off the wrong runway?

Tragic and a little worrisome. I knew immediately after watching this yesterday and today to confirmed it. I will be interesting to see all the facts that come out of this mess.

Co-Pilot survived I can only imagine the dreams this guy must be having.

Respects to the family and friends lost but it shouldn't have happen.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2006, 08:59 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Boats

The taxi way is in front of the terminals , The aircraft controler directed the plain onto the taxi way and instructed the pilot to turn left to runway 22, When the pilot turned left he was now on runway 26, (short runway) 22 is long runway. The controler should have watched the plane turn again onto runway 22 but for some reason , did not watch or did click soon enough to get out a STOP. When Air traffic controlers and pilots assume stuff bad thing happen. The controler was just trying to give the pilot a short cut, the pilot followed instructions and turned left, but the pilot failed to listen close , The instructions were turn left to runway 22 not turn left on runway 22.
Misstakes happen in air travel and people die when they do.
RON
Old 08-29-2006, 09:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Sounds like the ground controller had his head up his ass!
Although the Pilot, Co-Pilot and the friggen Navigator should have had some familiarity of the airport's runways!
Tragic, my thoughts and prayers go out to the victims.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 08-29-2006, 10:01 AM

I also heard that the pilot should have taken a instrument check as to his position prior to departure. Many issues for sure but like other have said - when wrong people die.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 08-29-2006, 10:05 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

According to the FAA it is not the ATC's job what so ever to make sure the aircraft is on the right runway. That is the job of the pilot. I also heard that the lights were out on the main runway and it was rainy and dark. There is enough blame to go around on this one and 49 people are dead because of it. Sad.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 08-29-2006, 10:09 AM

Boy once they committed it must have been a real shocker to note they were out of runway. Vain effort to pull up but heavy is heavy and the speed wasn't enough. The Co-Pilot will have some bad dreams over this one - not saying its his fault but he was in the second seat.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 08-29-2006, 11:52 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

So what?s this, ?Not my chob, man?, what a frigging cop out. I have yet to see the windows boarded up in a FAA control tower and never heard of ATC not keeping an eye on things going on and hollering out when a runway or cross traffic error is made.

Big clue, pilots have vision limited to about 200 degrees and some may not be all that familiar with the field layout, especially where there is limited vision due to weather. I smell the stink of some malicious compliance, negligence and indifference happening.

Scamp
Old 08-29-2006, 11:57 AM

Scamp - I've been in a few cockpits and you have a direction finder that is always visible. According to what was said on TV that is normally the first thing they look at as well adjust their altimeters.

Yes I agree with the controller - but they only had one and I agree he should have been a little more observant. But I've yet to see a photo from the tower to the area the plane takes off.

All and all there's enough blame to go around and all the details aren't out so I should be a little more less spoken until the facts are out - I stand corrected.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 08-29-2006, 12:18 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

True enough Boats, maybe to soon to get fired up, myself included.
But to my knowledge and experience, the ATC queues up the aircraft waiting to go and give them runway numbers and the get going signal. Works the same the world over, but not with the FAA I suppose.
Some years back a KLM 747 pilot end ran the cross traffic go signal and plowed into another 747 that was taking off, disaster then and there. The KLM pilot owned that one, but didn't survive to catch the heat.

Scamp
Old 08-29-2006, 02:12 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

The airport controler is responcible for all traffic on Runways and Taxi ways. He tells what taxiway to use to get to and from what runway, Once the aircraft went past runway 22 and didn't turn onto runway 22 from runway 26, it was the controlers job to stop the aircraft because the aircraft was now a runway/taxiway that the controler did not tell the aircraft to be on.
The pilot request takeoff and the controler tells the pilot which taxiway to use to get to the runway, the pilot then says back what the controler said.
When people start to assume the probems start.