The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-14-2005, 06:14 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Just a little war story about Valentine Day 1970

We had just stopped midday and took up our normal 360 degree defensive positions.We were about 25 to 30 men platoon size.We had stopped on a small hill with a pretty good field of fire all around.I was the point for the platoon and after everyone moved on to the hill,I went to the center where the Command Post was at,the Lt,platoon sgt and all squad leaders,also came up and the LT stated we would stop and break for chow.After showing me the way he wanted me to lead out after the break,I headed out to my position with my squad.I had only made it a few feet when I heard the first thump,which I knew to be a 60mm mortar,followed by 3 more.I hunched down and ran and the first one landed right outside the perimeter.My luck ran out at this point,the second one landed to my left about 15 to 20 yards away.The concussion blew my shirt and most of my pants off and picked me up and threw me maybe 10 to 15 feet.I never let go of my weapon.It knocked me out for just a few seconds and when I came to,all the world was quiet.I couldn't hear a sound.I had blood coming from my ears,nose,mouth and many small holes up and down my left side.I remember being rolled over by our Medic,Doc Jernigan and him talking to me but I couldn't hear what he was saying.I was filthy,scared and hurt and was just realizing that I wasn't bulletproof.A resupply chopper was in the area and it was called in and it took me to LZ Center to the Battilion Aid station.There the BN Doc picked out bits of metal and dirt.Nothing vital was hurt except my left eardrum,it had burst.Doc kept me on the firebase for about 2 weeks until I had recovered and sent me back out.I couldn't hear anything out of my left ear but that was ok,I had been promoted to Sgt and I couldn't walk point anymore.A few weeks later I received from our company clerk a copy of my orders for a Purple Heart.After I came home I was fitted for a hearing aid but I don't like to wear it.I guess Valentine Day has a different meaning to everybody,I know it does to me.