The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-13-2002, 06:42 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Back To The Nam Victory Tour

I'm starting to plan the Victory Tour, in late April or early May.
Here's how it looks so far:
Arrive HCM city, rent a car and driver ($59/day plus gas), and tool on up ol Highway 1 taking in the scenery. Bin Hoa, phan Thiet and Phan Rang (exhome to th 101st)
I never got an incountry R&R to Vung Tao so I'm gonna stop there and also Cam Ranh and take in the facilities so kindly left there by our government so long ago--sposed to be some good surfing there, I hear, the REMFs would know more about this than me.
North of Nha Trang (Recondo School!), we head left and head up to Ban Me Thuot in the Central Highlands. I spent lots of time up there and its pretty, a center of commerce and culture when my ancestors were raping and plundering their way through the Crusades. The Barbarian comes once again, this time armed only with a Gold Visa
Then take the drive north to the Pleis--plei Me, Plei Jereng, Pleiku. I spent time here, too, if I can, I'm going to cruise the Ia Drang Valley again to hear the ghosts.
Being driven by a Commie, He'll hpefully know where all the mines and booby traps are--maybe some we laid. I really hope to speak to some of their military people, shoot off some of their firearms--Blast Them Imperialist Running Dogs (LOL).
Drive out west of Pleiku to Cambodia, just to say I been there for sure--I may have been before but only by a few 100yds, they didn't have dotted yellow lines in the forest.
and then back east of Pleiku and down through Mang Yang Pass once more--I can see where we patrolled from the road. This is where the well armed hostile peasant weeweed on yr humble correspondent quaking in a bush--did I say he had lots of friends nearby?-- and where they fired us up getting off the chopper. Ive said before I intend to be driven down this road throwing piasters and MPC out the window, and God willing, I'll post the photos right here.
through Anh Khe and see if the Sin City's still there, then to QuiNhon for some more beach time----Spent some time in the hills south of town watching the lepers rot, Christmas Day, 1967
North from Quang Ngai and maybe through the Song Be Valley--there's ghosts here for me too but what I want to see again is what I thought was the eeriest thing in the war. A huge concrete bridge like an overpass in the air, but with the ends up maybe 15'--unusable without the approaches, just a concrete bridge out in the middle of nowhere unused and unusable--your tax dollars hard at work.
Duc Pho is on the road, where my platoon picture was ttaken and Quang Ngai. Then on through Chu Lai, danang, Hue and acros the nonexistent DMZ and on to Hanoi
Youre gonna see a picture of the ol lrrpster in Hanoi, Ho's tomb, with the psycovets ball cap on and the 101st patch, grinning hugely and flashing the peace sign. Thats a promise. That way you'll know for sure the war is over---and who won it.
The invitation is still open for anyone here to go with me

James