Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Iraqi Freedom

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2005, 05:02 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default News from a chaplain in Iraq

9 July 2005

To All,

Everyone complains that all you get on the evening news is the bad news. We hear this complaint a lot here. In the midst of the death and destruction here in Iraq, some good is being done. Schools are being built, infrastructure is being repaired, a civil government of sorts is being set up, and parts of the country are peaceful. Yet, all you hear about is the bad news; the deaths, the suicide bombings, the chaos.

I haven't sent a weekly update in at least a couple of weeks maybe three. Mainly because there wasn't anything to report, at least that is what I thought. But in truth, there was something to report. We worship every Sunday; we take a retreat to visit the monastery in FOB Marez every Sunday, I have three "Purpose Driven Life" groups going through out the week, a "Basics of the Bible" study taught by Michael, my assistant. Two times a week, I go down to our combat stress element to teach a two hour block of instruction on spiritual fitness. Our combat stress people run what is called a "restoration program" in which soldiers are taken out of their unit for two nights of relaxation, stress classes and counseling. I am really impressed with the program
and am delighted that they have allowed me to be a part of it. They do important work here and are very professional and compassionate. The staff psychologist is overwhelmed with the amount of people he is having to see. I have offered and he will allow me to be on call for him one night a week. No big deal, I am on call any way.

All these things that happen on a normal week are good things, they are the kinds of things we in the helping professions do to keep soldiers focused on their job; making this deployment easier for all. Yet, they did not constitute the kind of thing that I would be motivated to write a weekly update it seems.
Then today, the inevitable call on the radio, two US, litter, urgent. Once again swept into the controlled chaos of the emergency room, once again two very critically injured young American soldiers. One, didn't make it, after much effort by the entire team at the hospital. Yes, the war continues. In the midst of the good news, the bad news keeps happening.

I am reminded of the song "The Dance" by Garth Brooks. "I could have missed the pain, but then I would have missed the dance". Here in Iraq the pain is all around, but in the middle of it all is the dance. Part of my spiritual fitness class is to help soldiers see the dance in the midst of the pain they feel, and to let them know that life is good and bad in almost equal proportion; and to enjoy the good, you will also experience the pain. Yes, we do focus on the bad sometimes. But remember, the next time you hear about all the bad going on, somewhere, there is a dance.

God Bless You,
Thank you for your continued prayers,

Pastor Gary

[While too often we read of stories of our warriors and all their wondrous exploits, we don't hear of those behind the lines guys who really support and help our warriors. They have a story that needs telling as well. Scouts Out!!]

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links