The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Military Weapons

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-03-2003, 08:08 PM

Default Converted Muskets

eds, your musket is a conversion of the 1816 musket done by Hewes & Phillips, Newark, NJ in 1862.

It's a type II bolster conversion, it's believed that almost all were supplied to US under contract. Easily distinguished by the large bolster made without a clean-out screw and marked on side of bolster H&P and usually bearing an 1861-1863 date at top. Barrel is rifled with 3 grooves although some were smooth bore.

There were 3 types of conversions;
1."French Style" - where the flashpan was ground off and all external lock parts were removed. A bolster with percussion nipple was then threaded into the enlarged toutch hole.
2. "Belgian Alteration" - lock altered by having all external parts removed and pan ground flush, the small remaining cavity in the pan then filled with brass to give it a level or squared off appearance on top. Vent hole welded shut and a nipple threaded off center, toward lock, on top of barrel. From existing records this is the only method used for conversion in National Armories
3. "Bolster type" - Lock altered as with Belgian Alteration.
Type I - Bolster merely brazed over vent hole on side of barrel. Small bolster with clean out screw.
Type II - Breech of barrel cut off and new breech with cast integral bolster screwed into barrel. No clean out screw. Large bolster.

The H&P conversions were both Type I and II Bolsters. The type I were mostly for the state of New Jersey Militia (appx 8,000)and the type II were all for the U.S. Govt. (appx 12,000)

The value of such a conversion is $550 in Good condition and $1,000 in Fine condition. A premium is added for the Bolster type conversions with the 2 leaf rear sight (Yours has one) and rifled barrel as these were issued to Federal Troops. (Get a small penlight, turn it on, and drop it down the barrel with the light shining up.....after you give the bore a good scrub. I bet yu'll find 3 groove rifling)

Yours would fall somewhere in between. Not bad for $10.00
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links