The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2004, 06:07 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Loosing my driver and one back seat guy

I have a rule of thumb that I go by when pulling up to a structure fire, If the flames are less than 20 feet through the roof, we are going in.
Well the other day we had a structure fire and when we pulled up the flames were around 30 feet through the roof and comming out of every window and door also. I told the guys we were going in. We did and about 30 min latter had the fire under control.
My driver told me I was nuts and asked for a shift transfer, I gave it to him, One back seat guy told me this was way to dangerous and enrolled in sugens assistant school, he gave his two week notice .
My other back seat guy said he was never leaving me and would stay with me until I retired.
I have had several people wanting to come drive for me and to sit behind me. I have been thinking though. Maybe I don't really need to go into a burning building that the fire is 20 feet through the roof.
Its just, My crew has always been the strongest, fastes, most brave, willing to do anything I told them kind of group of guys.
Hears an example, we were on our way to a 30 passenger jet plan on fire comming into our airport, I told the driver to pull out right behind the plane whe it was touching down, I told one guy in the back when we got there to dive through the fire into the airplane to protect the people and me and the other firefighter would be 10 seconds behind him with a hose line. All I heard was,, OK.
I guess what Im asking is when is it a good time to S L O W down? Im getting a wee might old now.

Ron
Sponsored Links