The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2005, 09:49 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Brushing your teeth

I could never keep a tooth brush, much less a clean tooth brush.
Some of the guys had a very unusuall smell comming from under there lip. A lot of the time all that one could do was take a drink of water and as it fell out of your mouth use your finger as a tooth brush, The only problem with the is where had your finger been before you stuck it in your mouth.
When sundrey pack came and you got a tooth brush it was like a little bit of heaven, having clean in your mouth for a couple days.

Ron

Last edited by 82Rigger; 07-14-2008 at 01:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2005, 10:03 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Remember they had this wierd toothpaste they would give out every once in a while that was very heavy on the flouride? It was in a small tube and we were cautioned not to swallow it as it was poison.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:26 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking

Mostly used my tooth brush to clean my weapon , used my finger to brush my teeth. Had bad breath but my weapon fired
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 11:35 AM

A story about the weird toothpaste. The planeload of GI's I flew with into Vietnam, all went through that at Long Binh. We had been sitting through various processing sessions all at outdoor places. It was, of course, hot and they took us to this other outdoor spot with faucets that flowed into a metal drainage trough. I remember being told not to swallow it. That stuff puckered our already dry mouths and throat and I hated it. We had not had access to water that morning. I guess they did it because they knew some of us would not have an up close and personal relationship with a toothbrush because of our deployment in the field.
"No one has greater love than this; to lay down one's life for one's friends.". John 15:13
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 06:01 AM

Kid-that's my memory of 90th Rep...being 'taught' how to brush my teeth..up-down-side to side- spit. That stuff was bad..needed to wash it down with nuoc mam to make the bad taste go away.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:19 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

In 18th century America, they used baking soda as toothpaste, a very good idea. However, in an effort to get their teeth very white, they also used pumice. Soldiers used pumice to take the rust off their weapons, so you can imagine what it did to tooth enamel.

Also, since toothbrushes were handmade, they were very expensive so when you bought one for your family, you bought ONE for your family. The family that brushes together gets periadontal disease together!