The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-16-2002, 01:39 PM

Default Unconditional Acceptance

(A nice story from a young woman in the U.S.A.)

Unconditional Acceptance

What do you do when you meet the homeless face to face?

My husband, son, and I went out to McDonalds. We were standing in line, when all of a sudden everyone around us began to back away, and then even my husband did. An overwhelming feeling of panic welled up inside me as I smelled a horrible dirty body smell. There standing behind me were two homeless men.

As I looked down at the short gentleman, close to me, he was smiling. His beautiful sky blue eyes were full of Light as he searched for acceptance. He said, ?Good day? as he counted the few coins he had been clutching. The second man fumbled with his hands as he stood behind his friend. I perceived the second man was mentally deficient and the blue eyed gentleman was his salvation.

When asked what they wanted, he answered, ?Coffee is all Miss? because that was all they could afford. It was a cold March morning and if they wanted to sit in the restaurant to warm up, they had to buy something. Then I felt a compulsion so great I almost reached out and embraced the little man. I noticed all eyes in the restaurant were on me. I smiled and ordered two more breakfast meals on a separate tray. I walked to the table the men had chosen, put the tray on the table and laid my hand on the blue-eyed gentleman's cold hand. He looked up at me, tears in his eyes, and said, ?Thank you.? I leaned over and said, ?I didn?t do this for you. God is here working through me to give you hope.?

I started to cry as I walked away to join my husband and son. When I sat down my husband smiled at me and said, ?That is why God gave you to me, Honey. To give me hope.?

We held hands for a moment and we knew that only because of the Grace we had been given were we able to give. We are not church goers, but we are believers. That day showed me the pure Light of God's sweet love. We as human beings and part of God, share this need to heal people and thus be healed. In my own way I had touched my husband, son, and every soul in that McDonald's. I learned one of the biggest lessons I would ever learn. Unconditional acceptance.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2002, 04:19 PM

Philly;

I know where you are coming from.

I and Karen has done the same thing, but we take our food to the far corner.

Standing on the corner with a sign "will work for foood" is B/S.

I am not a regular Church Goer either, but I do BELIEVE.

Nice post.

enough..........
Old 11-16-2002, 04:55 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Pay it Forward

Remember the movie where this kid just does good things for people and they in turn do good things for others? I am a firm believer in that attitude. While lately the circumstances have not presented themselves, about 10 years ago, I had three events happen to me in quick secesssion that had people wondering about me. First, I was driving east on 127th street waiting toget on the FDR Drive. I glanced over to the right and saw an older black man, head bloodied, leaning against a curb. I stopped the car, ran to the nearby bus depot an asked the dispatcher to call 911. well he did not want to get involved, so i spoke to the dispatcher. I went back to the scene and waited for the ambulance. I asked the EMS techs how I could help. They told me it was too late, he had two bullets in his head.

Shortly thereafter, I was driving north on the West Side Highway late at night and saw a car turn over about 100 yards in front of me. I swerved around him, hit the brakes and ran over to the car to pull the guy out. He was bleeding around the head so I took him to the hospital. He thanked me profusely and wanted to pay me for my trouble. I waved him off and told him to do the same for another one down the road. Then number three happened. about 5 AM, I was heading south on the West Side Highway and had a flat tire. I pulled over and started to change the tire. Behind me i heard some groaning. Not very comforting at 5 AM on the upper west side of Manhattan, I assure you! At any rate, I turned around and in the bushes lay a guy rubbing his head. He had been mugged and left there. He kept talking to me about how his sister was going to kill him. well I drove him to Penn Station and gave him train fare home. He wanted my address so he could pay me back. It wasn't much, so i said the same thing, help out somebody else down the road.

I haven't had to get involved like that for a number of years. I can only hope that if enough of us treat other people with a little decency and kindness, it will all come around in the end.

My wife remarked shortly after those incidents that I would definitely go to heaven for those three incidents. i was a little taken aback by that. I only treated them, as I would want to be treated. eventually it has to come around, right?

Oh well, you did good and right. It makes you feel good to make somebody's day just a little easier doesn't it?

Bill D.

King John 2.1.466
Old 11-16-2002, 05:52 PM

I too live in a fast pace and ever growing city. I see homeless people quite often. It saddens me when I see others walk around the homeless as though they do not exist. The truth is it could be you or I or them out there with nothing to eat or a place to rest. Even a kind word would make their day. Heck, a kind word to anyone would go far.

Pay it Forward is a favorite of mine. I do believe when you help others, a blessing comes your way.

I think what you guys are doing by helping others is heroic. It is wonderful to see and hear about the good people do for each other.

I also witnessed a veh. overturn heading the opposite direction. It was a family of five who were the victims. There were three children and two adults involved. I stopped my veh. and ran across to the median and hopped over to the other side of the freeway. I saw, lying there, three unconscious children, two boys and one girl. Their mothers were distraut and badly injured. I rushed to one of the children's side. His name was Jose. He was only 5 years old. He was bleeding from his head and spitting up blood. It was evident he had severe head trauma. The paramedics arrived and took over. I felt helpless. I cried for this little guy that I had never met before. The following day, I learned he passed away. The other victims only sustained injuries. So you can care for someone you've never met before. It's in our nature to care. It's just that we need to take the time to care...

There's a fella who is an ex Vet on another forum. I read some of his posts on the forum. You can tell he is aching inside. He is a very proud and secretive man. I email him an uplifting poem or message from time to time. He never replies. I do not expect one either. I think if you can touch another person's life in a positive way, you should. We are all interconnected in one way or another..

I think I've rambled on a little too much.

It was nice reading your stories.
Old 11-17-2002, 07:02 AM

Philly never know could have been an angle you just got one more jewel in your crown.
razz
Old 11-18-2002, 05:23 AM

Homeless,

I recall many years ago I was working downtown Chicago on one of the high rises (construction). At lunch we would go down and walk over to a little joint not far from the work site.

We'd pass some old guys laying on the street and few were pan handling - Hey bud got an quarter and soforth. After a few weeks I got approached again and I said to the guy look I'll give you a buck but first I wanna buy you lunch. He drew back and took a deep breath and said do I have too?

I said look you may want to kill yourself drinking but if I'm goin to give you any money you gotta eat something. He said OK. The guys I was with couldn't believe what I was doing. He chowed down on the special and I gave him $5 and told him to have a nice day.

I never saw that guy again on the street - where did he go did he get killed or just move on - I'll never know.

Another time (more present) I was on my way home and this old guy late 60 ish long white hair and two bags he was carrying was hitch hiking out West somewhere. I forgot to tell you it was raining like hell outside. He looked like a drowning rat.

I picked him up in Illinois and gave him a smoke (he asked for one) and I said how far you going? He said just thataway (West) said he was on his way home to see his daughter.

We chit chatted a little and he just stared straight ahead. I took him to the Indiana border and said I have to drop you off. He said thanks for the ride can I bum another smoke? I gave him my whole back and asked him if he'd eaten? He said he'd get something tomorrow.

I gave him my last $10 and said get some smokes and something to eat. He never asked me for anything but a butt so I tried to do something nice after all when I was down out people couldn't wait to help me so I felt I had to do something back.

My wife had a fit me picking up a stranger you couldv'e been killed! I just blew off as I normally do but I often think about those two guys and I wonder how they are doing?

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 11-18-2002, 05:38 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

My brother was sick and living with me , couldn't work. A homeless guy comes on the train and asks Richard for a smoke. He gives him his last smoke. I am mad cause I am buying the smokes. I ask why did you give him your last smoke and Richard says " That could be you some day " I still remember that.
Old 11-18-2002, 09:11 PM

Boats,

Those were truly wonderful stories you shared with us.

I remember as a kid, people always helped each other. The older folks in our neighborhood would invite us over for cookies and milk. One neighbor would give us Alka Selzer water because we liked to see it fizzle. We got moon pies from another elderly couple. Life back then was simple. And most importantly people thought so much of each other.

Giving of yourself shouldn't be a rarity and should come naturally. I miss the days when Mr. Bowbie who wore a straw hat, overalls and plaid shirts handing out packs of spearmint gum to us kids. Those times were so appreciated by all of us. Today, we are lucky to receive a wave or a friendly conversation.

DMZ, it is so true what your brother stated about that homeless man. It could be you, I or our neighbor in that desperate spot.

It's been a pleasure to have read all of your stories. It gives hope and a sense of appreciation that there are so many good people giving of themselves.

Philly