Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Bill
Its funny the crap you remember .
My mother saved all my VN letters and plotted where I went and dates so all I did was use her stuff. I remember writing her that it was so cold and I was shivering and I guess the stuff just stuck in my mind. But then I don't forget much anyway.
We lived in the country when I was young and I can remember killing a rat (with a shovel) and giving it to my mother at 2 1'2 years old, I can remember going to "vist" my older sister at Her kindergarten class, I was 3, I can remember walking a corn field to go to neighbors house at 3. I can remember almost every day as a firefighter. Remembering some people trying to kill you seems easy.
Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2006, 07:40 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Lighting up the night?..

The squished beehive looking rig half way up the mast is the Sperry ?Pathfinder? radar. Short range and very high resolution, but not mil spec hardware. They were Maritime certified but in the time of Navy style ?roll yer own?, worked out just fine. Some USN patrol craft didn?t get the Pathfinder or much else for that matter, so I suppose it was all about positioning in the food chain as to who got what. See next post.

Scamp
Old 12-03-2006, 07:44 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Sperry Pathfinder.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:20 AM

Hey Seascamp--great picture, brings back memorys of the days on the river, yes we had the radar, didn't work very good in the rain or fog, may have been the operator
Old 12-04-2006, 09:44 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Id of been Skiing. From the boat or the Chopper.
Ron
Old 12-04-2006, 10:08 AM

We did- just like in the movie "A-poc-o-lips Now"
Old 12-04-2006, 11:59 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Sea
Never seen the movie
The previews looked dumb so I didn't go.
Napalm stinks very bad, by the way. Duvale couldn't hold a candle to ANY Cav officer.
My brother had a cris craft boat and we put in a center pivit point for the skier. I would pull hard right and he would drop speed and turn left. I would go all the way around him as he crank right and full throtal, Turning intop me. The first time we did this like to yank my arms off, we did it several more trimes and found instead of a 90% turn that a 70 % would save the boat and the skier.
Ron
Old 12-04-2006, 01:26 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Dennis...
Fog or rain will increase ?sea chop? return n? fuzz, requiring display adjustment or carrier frequency adjustment, sometimes. But we?d have some mighty crashes and bashes in our ports if rain n? fog was the showstopper. Could be that your operator wasn?t fully trained- up on compensating for the elements or perhaps you had a ?blue light special? radar rig that didn?t have a lot of adjustment capability. My gripe was that the Pathfinder was a power hog and when on silent drift, it didn?t take long before battery recharge was an immediate, do it now need, and time to snort-up the diesel engines and make all kinds of racket. Kind of like, ?hello everybody, here we are, over here, got anything for us"?
Never skied, too many water snakes and other carnivorous eaters with an appetite for my hide. And never saw any crazy buggers sniffin cordite or napalm, or any Playboy bunnies looking for a date, neither.
From time-to-time some sampan gals came along side with a specific transaction being offered, but that was a not allowed activity lest some horn dog had an overwhelming need for the Boatswain to relieve him of his anxious apparatus via the flash of a deck knife. :ek: At least that was the promise and I bought in, you bet.

Scamp