The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2008, 03:27 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Thanks again Gimpy for the heads up ! I have sent in my 3c.

Larry
Old 01-03-2008, 03:37 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default WTF are you talkin about??? Research my country boy ASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrels joy View Post
Bush to veto defense policy bill

By Michelle Malkin • December 28, 2007 12:40 PM
Hmmm. This is an interesting development. Dems have been caught off guard (via USAT):
The White House just announced that President Bush intends to veto a major defense policy bill, citing concerns over language that it claims could endanger Iraqi assets held in U.S. banks.
In a written statement just released, White House deputy press secretary Scott Stanzel says the measure “would significantly amend current law (the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act) in ways that would imperil Iraqi assets held in the United States, including reconstruction and central bank funds.”
A provision in the measure “would permit plaintiffs’ lawyers immediately to freeze Iraqi funds and would expose Iraq to massive liability in lawsuits concerning the misdeeds of the Saddam Hussein regime. The new democratic government of Iraq, during this crucial period of reconstruction, cannot afford to have its funds entangled in such lawsuits in the United States. Once in place, the restrictions on Iraq’s funds that could result from the bill could take months to lift, and thus Section 1083 cannot become law even for a short period of time,” Stanzel says in the statement.
Politico adds:
The veto startled Democratic congressional leaders, who believe Bush is bowing to pressure from the Iraqi government over a technical provision in the bill. The veto was unexpected because there was no veto threat and the legislation passed both chambers of Congress overwhelmingly.
Democratic leaders say the provision in question could easily be worked out, but in vetoing the massive defense policy bill, military pay raises may be on hold, as well as dozens of other programs.
“We understand that the president is bowing to the demands of the Iraqi government, which is threatening to withdraw billions of dollars invested in U.S. banks if this bill is signed,” said House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), in a joint statement. “The administration should have raised its objections earlier, when this issue could have been addressed without a veto.”
A White House spokesman said the veto would officially be delivered later today.
Hate to come anywhere near siding with the Dems, but it does strike me as odd that the White House wouldn’t have signaled its opposition to the provision so it could be fixed before the bill passed. There has to be more back story here.
Iraq gov''t thanks Bush for using veto against Cangress law 3 Jan 2008 18:55 GMT
... Iraq gov''t thanks Bush for using veto against Cangress law POL-IRAQ-BUSH-THANKS Iraq gov't thanks Bush ... on Thursday expressed its thanks to President George W. Bush for using the right of veto over ...
__________________________________________________ ______
Bush to veto defense bill after Iraq objects

By Tabassum Zakaria
Dec 28, 2007

CRAWFORD, Texas (Reuters) - President George W. Bush intends to veto defense legislation after Iraq objected to a provision that could freeze its assets in the United States if Americans sue the country, the White House said on Friday.
Iraqi officials raised their concerns with U.S. Ambassador Ryan Crocker about 10 days ago and when administration officials took a closer look at the provision they agreed that it could pose "grave financial risk" for Iraq, tying up assets needed for reconstruction, the White House said.

Top Politics stories

Iraq also discussed with the United States the possibility of pulling its assets, about $20 billion to $30 billion, out of U.S. institutions if the defense policy bill became law, a senior administration official said on condition of anonymity.
"The new democratic government of Iraq, during this crucial period of reconstruction, cannot afford to have its funds entangled in such lawsuits in the United States," White House spokesman Scott Stanzel said.
The Bush administration is concerned that the bill would re-open lawsuits filed against Iraq under Saddam Hussein, some going back to the first Gulf War, and tie up the assets of the post-Saddam government.
Congressional Democratic leaders House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said the administration should have raised its objections earlier.
"It is unfortunate that the president will not sign this critical legislation," they said in a statement. "Instead, we understand that the president is bowing to the demands of the Iraqi government, which is threatening to withdraw billions of dollars invested in U.S. banks if this bill is signed."
The White House said it became more acutely aware of the potential consequences for Iraq and its relations with the United States after Baghdad raised its concerns.
__________________________________________________ _____

I'm back and still know how to research a story.

########################

Sorry SFC darrell, you got it WRONG AGAIN!-----This has NOTHING---NADA---ZIP---to do with this most recent skullduggery by the Whitehouse in VETO'ing this bill. The "Iraq" funds mentioned in this latest bit of nonsense has abso-phuckin-lutely NOTHING to do with the $3.7 billion "emergency" funding sent up to the Pres.------Maybe you ought to take a "refresher" course on your "research skills that would help you IMPROVE your obvious lack of comprehension of the subject matter!

The Democratic Congress sent President Bush a VA budget that was $3.7 billion over what the White House wanted.

So, that $3.7 billion increase had to be listed as "emergency" funding.

The President has already said it's too much (in his original budget request). The Dems sent it up anyway...but not as part of the regular budget. Because, Bush said he would VETO it if it came across his desk!

So now, the Dems are hoping the President will release the $3.7 billion that they didn't have the balls to send up as part of the regular VA budget.

There are two scenarios here: 1. The President says NO and doesn't release the funds. 2. The President does declare a VA funding "emergency" and releases the funds. But, the President will hold the Dems hostage on this and demand something in return. Maybe dropping any future investigations?

Who knows...but, the Dems will have to pay if this money gets to the VA.

On December 21, 2007 Democratic Senators sent a letter requesting that President Bush release the "$3.7 billion Emergency Funds" to the VA as the article below clearly states!

###START###

Senate Democrats Want Veterans Department Fully Funded

Appropriations Bill Contains $3.7 Billion Over Bush’s Initial Request

By Jesse Broder Van Dyke, 12/21/2007 12:56:23 PM

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Today, Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committee Chairman Daniel K. Akaka, (D-Hawaii) along with Committee members John D. Rockefeller (D-WV), Patty Murray (D-WA), Barack Obama (D-IL), Bernard Sanders (I-VT), Sharrod Brown (D-OH), Jim Webb (D-VA), and Jon Tester (D-MT) sent a letter to President George W. Bush urging him to fund the Department of Veterans Affairs in accordance with the terms of the Combined Appropriations Act, which provides $3.7 billion over the President’s initial budget request. The Senators said this level of funding is essential to providing adequate services to America’s veterans.

Chairman Akaka said: “This funding increase, which represents the largest single-year increase in the history of VA, is crucial to meeting the increased demands caused by the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and the aging population of veterans from pervious wars. This funding will help VA detect invisible wounds such as PTSD with improved assess to mental health services, and will increase capacity to tackle the massive backlog in claims.”

A copy of the letter appears below:

Dear Mr. President:

We are writing to urge you to send forward a formal budget request for the Department of Veterans Affairs for $3.7 billion over your initial budget request, in accordance with the terms of the Combined Appropriations Act, 2008 (CAA). This level of funding is essential to providing adequate services to America’s veterans.

As a nation, we are facing a wide range of challenges in meeting the needs of those who have served in the armed services. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are creating a significant new population of veterans. Those who served in earlier wars are becoming older, and their demand for health care and other services is changing and increasing.

The Department of Veterans Affairs must rise to meet these new demands. Providing the full level of appropriated funds to VA will ensure, among other things, that the department will be able to provide timely access to services, furnish improved mental health services, and develop the needed capacity to handle the massive claims backlog. These concerns, and many others facing VA, must be addressed in the coming year, and the full amount of funding in the CAA for VA must be provided as soon as feasible so that VA can take the action to better serve our nation’s veterans, young and old.

We appreciate your commitment to America’s veterans, and again urge you to send forward a formal budget request for the full funding prior to January 18th. We look forward to working with you in the year to come to advance our mutual goals.

Sincerely,
Daniel K. Akaka
John D. Rockefeller
Patty Murray
Barack Obama
Bernard Sanders
Sharrod Brown
Jim Webb
Jon Tester

HawaiiReporter.com reports the real news, and prints all editorials submitted, even if they do not represent the viewpoint of the editors, as long as they are written clearly.

###END###

Gimp-----

Professor Emeritus---VA Budget Research Expert & Exposer of Bullshit Artists Extraordinare

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Last edited by Gimpy; 01-03-2008 at 03:38 PM. Reason: spelling
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:54 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

You are so good at yelling but can't even get my name right.

I am not SFC_Darrel.

"Professor Emeritus---VA Budget Research Expert & Exposer of Bullshit Artists Extraordinare" ROTFLMAO

Joy

Old 01-05-2008, 07:16 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Joy,...you got that right.

That typical Dem Attack Dog Hack Gimpy should instead
lighten-up & sign off with:
EXPERT Bullshit Artist Extraordinare.

Neil
Old 01-05-2008, 07:49 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Name---Shsame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrels joy View Post
You are so good at yelling but can't even get my name right.

I am not SFC_Darrel.

"Professor Emeritus---VA Budget Research Expert & Exposer of Bullshit Artists Extraordinare" ROTFLMAO

Joy

You two sound so much alike, it's very easy for someone to be unable differentiate between the both of you!

Birds of a feather, you know----that sort of stuff!

Still----------you WERE WRONG about the "subject matter"!----As usual...........

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Old 01-05-2008, 07:57 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Fraid not Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconeil View Post
That typical Dem Attack Dog Hack Gimpy should instead
lighten-up & sign off with:
EXPERT Bullshit Artist Extraordinare.

Neil

I had it RIGHT the FIRST TIME!

I have "exposed" you so many times it's becoming obvious to everyone around here how ridiculous your rantings are.

BTW---------Did you write your "hero" (babyBush) and ask him to release those funds to help repair the damage he's done to the VA??

Or, did you order another gallon of his mind controlling "kool aid" to make sure your kind follows his direction to keep screwing sick & disabled veterans??

Just asking.

Yo Frand (just kidding)

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

Old 01-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

Old 01-05-2008, 11:47 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default NONSENSE,...Gimpy.

NONSENSE Oh Self-annointed Superior/Sepremacist Type.

You, just all other like-minded and despicable National Underminers, Demoralizers &
Demeaners FOR CAUSE such as ACLU, DNC, UN, Fanatical Islam, many in Press/Media
and all other purposeful zealots,...only daily EXPOSE yourselves quite well.

After all, EVEN You must realize that stupidly calling Our Wartime Commander-In-Chief:
"Baby Bush" only helps, gratifies & encourages Fanatical Islam & Fanatical Democrats.

Such typical personal attacks, spins & twists most certainly are
never appreciated by both U.S. & Allied Troops (plus families),...
nor even most Veterans.

Neil
Old 01-05-2008, 04:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to QM3steve
Distinctions
Contributor 

With all due respect gentlemen, the issue is still the release of the funds. Obviously, without it, it leaves a substantial gap in VA funding coverage. If you wish to have it released, arguing about it here, will most likely allow it to be appropriated somewhere else. No matter who has "exposed" who, or who has the correct cut and paste, or even the correct screenname, for that matter. We are all veterans in one form or another and would all benefit from the funding release. Write a letter. As is said in the redneck world, "Git 'er Done."
Old 01-05-2008, 05:46 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

President George W. Bush recently signed HR 2764, the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2008; which, the Military Construction and Veterans Affairs and Related Agencies Appropriations Act of 2008 falls under Division “I” of this bill.

The 11-bill Omnibus, one that increases the VA budget by $6.6 billion above the 2007 level, calls for $3.7 billion above the President’s request for fiscal year 2008, which is the largest single increase in the 77-year history of the Veterans Administration. The $3.7 billion increase for veterans is designated as emergency funding under the final bill, and is contingent on approval by the President before it can be released to the VA prior to the January 18 deadline.

American Legion
__________________________--

President Bush Signs H.R. 2764 into Law

White House News

Today, I signed into law H.R. 2764, legislation that will fund the Federal Government within the reasonable and responsible spending levels I proposed -- without raising taxes and without the most objectionable policy changes considered by the Congress. This law provides a down payment for the resources our troops need, without arbitrary timelines for withdrawal. The Congress should quickly take action next year to provide the remainder of the funding needed by our troops.
I am disappointed in the way the Congress compiled this legislation, including abandoning the goal I set early this year to reduce the number and cost of earmarks by half. Instead, the Congress dropped into the bill nearly 9,800 earmarks that total more than $10 billion. These projects are not funded through a merit-based process and provide a vehicle for wasteful Government spending.
There is still more to be done to rein in Government spending. In February I will submit my budget proposal for fiscal year 2009, which will once again restrain spending, keep taxes low, and continue us on a path towards a balanced budget. I look forward to working with the Congress in the coming year to ensure taxpayer dollars are spent wisely.
Finally, this legislation contains certain provisions similar to those found in prior appropriations bills passed by the Congress that might be construed to be inconsistent with my Constitutional responsibilities. To avoid such potential infirmities, the executive branch will interpret and construe such provisions in the same manner as I have previously stated in regard to similar provisions.
GEORGE W. BUSH
THE WHITE HOUSE, December 26, 2007.

Joy

Gimpy,
Do we "sound" the same? Maybe that's why we have been happily married for so many years. Somewhere around here is a picture of me in BDUs and a picture of Darrel giving Peter the Oath for his reenlistment in November.
Our support for our children (and Darrel, my own disabled veteran) is not just through service organizations and MWR.