by: 2nd Lt. Christopher Mesnard
100th ARW Public Affairs
published: November 08, 2012

Share This:

Tweet

Comments
Email
Print

RAF MILDENHALL, England* -- November 11 -- each year this date brings a flood of memories of our past and present brothers and sisters in arms. For the United States and the United Kingdom, the day is recognized by different titles: Veterans Day for the U.S. and Remembrance Day for the UK. However, the respect and admiration associated with the two remains equally strong for their service members.

Honoring our veterans is not a thing of the past. It is not an idea that is reserved for our "Greatest Generation." The idea of honoring those who came before for us is one that transcends all ages, races and statuses. This service commitment equalizes everyone - those who have served, those who are kin to service members and those who acknowledge the efforts of a service member's commitment to his or her country. As such, it is the success of all when a wreath is placed in honor of the forgotten Soldiers, just as it is our collective failure to teach our children when the stories of our service members go untold.

The following two patriots both have stories their time in service. They hail from different backgrounds, but they are both veterans and heroes of their countries.

A World War II patriot's story
George Thompson is a member of the "Greatest Generation" - a generation that is quickly and quietly diminishing. Born and raised in Scotland, he joined the Royal Air Force aircrew ranks in 1942. In June 1944, Thompson was stationed at RAF Mildenhall as a navigator with 15 Squadron on a Lancaster LS-P bomber.

During this time, he flew 19 missions, guiding his aircraft successfully over the then Nazi-controlled rail yards in France and Germany.

Thompson's crew consisted of Flight Officer Norman Overend, Flight Sergeants John D. Jones, Robert P. E. Kendall and Harry A. Beverton; and Sergeants Barry J. Howarth and I. Spagatner. On the evening of Sept. 12, 1944, the crew was on its 19th mission en route to Mannheim, Germany, when it was attacked by two enemy fighters.

Upon contact, the bomber took heavy damage to the bomb bay and forced the crew to bail out. Thompson recalls all crew members making it out except for Overend, the pilot.

"He stuck with the plane to ensure that we were all able to bail out," he said. "I remember being the second to last one out. And, after I took him his parachute, he said, 'Good luck,' and that was the last I saw of him."

Thompson and his surviving fellow crew members became prisoners of war after the German forces captured the crew. Thompson discovered years later that the pilot and the mid-upper gunner were buried beside one another at the Durnbach War Cemetery near Durnbach, Germany.

Thompson and Overend were good friends. Thompson still remembers spending time with his buddy during their down time.

"He would come on leave with us," he said. "Since he was from New Zealand, I invited him to my family's home, and we spent many days together. He was a good pilot; it's just unfortunate he didn't get out in time."

Aside from corresponding with Overend's family in New Zealand, George still honors the memory of his comrade and friend by telling Norman's story to his church. It is through the telling of his story Thompson hopes his friend's service will always be remembered.

A contemporary patriot's story
Retired U.S. Maj. Andrew Baker has a humbling point of view as a U.S. military veteran. The son of a British mother and an American father, he can relate to both Veterans Day and Remembrance Day celebrations. Baker grasps the full meaning behind the red poppy - a symbol of remembrance.

"When I joined the American military at the tail-end of Vietnam, the atmosphere back home was very different from what we have now," he said. "I think now we do our best to welcome our troops when they come back home. It's that mutual feeling of gratitude that brings us all together."

Baker served as a B-52 Super Fortress bomb navigation technician before commissioning as a second lieutenant from Northern Arizona University under the Bootstrap program. In total, he served 22 years of active-duty service with the U.S. Air Force with tours to Thailand, Guam, Germany and England.

As with many veterans, Baker is humbled by the gratitude shown to him for his service.
"Whether it's someone just saying, 'thank you,' or buying a young Airman a meal, the appreciation we have for our service members is unmatched," Baker said.

Baker has made the U.S. Air Force a lifetime career, even after his active-duty commitment. In 2001, after retiring, he became a control treaty compliance officer and continues to serve his country at RAF Mildenhall. The desire to serve and honor those who came before him are Baker's motives for staying.

"I was raised with the sacrifices of others and taught to honor that sacrifice," said Baker. "My family and I continue to pay respects to our service members by attending the Remembrance Day ceremony in our village."

Sacrifices worth making
These heroes have very different stories -- stories that many can relate to on some level. Both of them come from nations that take pride in their service members. American or English, remembering those who served and fought for their liberties is a choice that will always be a significant statement of gratitude.

Editor's note:
This year Remembrance Day will be observed on Nov. 11th, with much pomp and circumstance to include poppy wreaths laid by RAF and U.S. Air Force members. Veterans Day is on Nov. 11th as well, with the Federal Holiday observed on Nov. 12th.

Tags: RAF Alconbury, RAF Croughton, RAF Fairford, RAF Lakenheath, RAF Mildenhall, RAF Molesworth, News
Related Content:

Together we remember

by: 2nd Lt. Christopher Mesnard
100th ARW Public Affairs
published:

Share This:

Tweet

Comments
Email
Print

RAF MILDENHALL, England* -- November 11 -- each year this date brings a flood of memories of our past and present brothers and sisters in arms. For the United States and the United Kingdom, the day is recognized by different titles: Veterans Day for the U.S. and Remembrance Day for the UK. However, the respect and admiration associated with the two remains equally strong for their service members.

Honoring our veterans is not a thing of the past. It is not an idea that is reserved for our "Greatest Generation." The idea of honoring those who came before for us is one that transcends all ages, races and statuses. This service commitment equalizes everyone - those who have served, those who are kin to service members and those who acknowledge the efforts of a service member's commitment to his or her country. As such, it is the success of all when a wreath is placed in honor of the forgotten Soldiers, just as it is our collective failure to teach our children when the stories of our service members go untold.

The following two patriots both have stories their time in service. They hail from different backgrounds, but they are both veterans and heroes of their countries.

A World War II patriot's story
George Thompson is a member of the "Greatest Generation" - a generation that is quickly and quietly diminishing. Born and raised in Scotland, he joined the Royal Air Force aircrew ranks in 1942. In June 1944, Thompson was stationed at RAF Mildenhall as a navigator with 15 Squadron on a Lancaster LS-P bomber.

During this time, he flew 19 missions, guiding his aircraft successfully over the then Nazi-controlled rail yards in France and Germany.

Thompson's crew consisted of Flight Officer Norman Overend, Flight Sergeants John D. Jones, Robert P. E. Kendall and Harry A. Beverton; and Sergeants Barry J. Howarth and I. Spagatner. On the evening of Sept. 12, 1944, the crew was on its 19th mission en route to Mannheim, Germany, when it was attacked by two enemy fighters.

Upon contact, the bomber took heavy damage to the bomb bay and forced the crew to bail out. Thompson recalls all crew members making it out except for Overend, the pilot.

"He stuck with the plane to ensure that we were all able to bail out," he said. "I remember being the second to last one out. And, after I took him his parachute, he said, 'Good luck,' and that was the last I saw of him."

Thompson and his surviving fellow crew members became prisoners of war after the German forces captured the crew. Thompson discovered years later that the pilot and the mid-upper gunner were buried beside one another at the Durnbach War Cemetery near Durnbach, Germany.

Thompson and Overend were good friends. Thompson still remembers spending time with his buddy during their down time.

"He would come on leave with us," he said. "Since he was from New Zealand, I invited him to my family's home, and we spent many days together. He was a good pilot; it's just unfortunate he didn't get out in time."

Aside from corresponding with Overend's family in New Zealand, George still honors the memory of his comrade and friend by telling Norman's story to his church. It is through the telling of his story Thompson hopes his friend's service will always be remembered.

A contemporary patriot's story
Retired U.S. Maj. Andrew Baker has a humbling point of view as a U.S. military veteran. The son of a British mother and an American father, he can relate to both Veterans Day and Remembrance Day celebrations. Baker grasps the full meaning behind the red poppy - a symbol of remembrance.

"When I joined the American military at the tail-end of Vietnam, the atmosphere back home was very different from what we have now," he said. "I think now we do our best to welcome our troops when they come back home. It's that mutual feeling of gratitude that brings us all together."

Baker served as a B-52 Super Fortress bomb navigation technician before commissioning as a second lieutenant from Northern Arizona University under the Bootstrap program. In total, he served 22 years of active-duty service with the U.S. Air Force with tours to Thailand, Guam, Germany and England.

As with many veterans, Baker is humbled by the gratitude shown to him for his service.
"Whether it's someone just saying, 'thank you,' or buying a young Airman a meal, the appreciation we have for our service members is unmatched," Baker said.

Baker has made the U.S. Air Force a lifetime career, even after his active-duty commitment. In 2001, after retiring, he became a control treaty compliance officer and continues to serve his country at RAF Mildenhall. The desire to serve and honor those who came before him are Baker's motives for staying.

"I was raised with the sacrifices of others and taught to honor that sacrifice," said Baker. "My family and I continue to pay respects to our service members by attending the Remembrance Day ceremony in our village."

Sacrifices worth making
These heroes have very different stories -- stories that many can relate to on some level. Both of them come from nations that take pride in their service members. American or English, remembering those who served and fought for their liberties is a choice that will always be a significant statement of gratitude.

Editor's note:
This year Remembrance Day will be observed on Nov. 11th, with much pomp and circumstance to include poppy wreaths laid by RAF and U.S. Air Force members. Veterans Day is on Nov. 11th as well, with the Federal Holiday observed on Nov. 12th.

Tags: RAF Alconbury, RAF Croughton, RAF Fairford, RAF Lakenheath, RAF Mildenhall, RAF Molesworth, News
Related Content:

More...
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links