The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-14-2021, 12:49 PM

Exclamation At least 15 shot, 2 fatally, in ‘gang-related’ Chicago shooting

At least 15 shot, 2 fatally, in ‘gang-related’ Chicago shooting
By: K. Roberts - D. W. Lee & R. Sobal - Chicago Tribune - 03-14-21
Re: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...249933413.html

CHICAGO — At least 15 people were shot, two of them fatally, inside a “pop-up party” early Sunday
at a business that operates as a tow company and apparent event space on the South Side, Chicago
police Superintendent David Brown said.

Investigators believe the 4:40 a.m. shooting was “gang-related,” according to a Chicago police report
citing preliminary information. Officers and firefighters responded to a business at 6798 S. South
Chicago Ave. in the Park Manor neighborhood, according to police and fire officials.

The report says a 31-year-old woman who was shot three times, including once in the head, was found
dead outside the building. A 39-year-old man, with gunshot wounds to his neck and leg, another later was
found dead inside in a “backroom.” The medical examiner’s office had not released their names Sunday morning.

“The location is a garage/ tow yard with an attached duplex apartment, which was converted to a
bar/party area,” the report states.

Reports about the number of people shot increased from nine at 7 a.m. to 12 a short time later and as of 9 a.m.,
15, with two killed. Fire Department District Chief Juan Hernandez said that’s because more people were
seeking treatment at area hospitals on their own after being shot.

Brown gave a brief news conference at 9:30 a.m. outside the South Side Think Tank, where detectives with clipboards
and uniformed officers talked outside the open overhead garage door, steps away from bloodstained concrete.
Brown described the business as a makeshift tow company that also houses a bar and may formerly have operated
as a lounge, but that now serves as an event space for pop-up parties.

“Four guns were recovered at the scene. Our detectives are continuing to do their preliminary investigation and their
interviews but several of the witnesses who were wounded are still in surgery and have yet to be interviewed so more
to come as far as any kind of motive or any additional evidence,” Brown said. “We are following up on several different
leads that we are yet unable to confirm.”

According to the preliminary police report, one of those weapons was found outside the business and three others were
found inside. It wasn’t clear what caliber or type of gun or guns were used. The preliminary report said “several shell
casings and fired bullets recovered from inside.”

Officer Jose Jara said in an email that the attack happened when, for an unknown reason, “One of the patrons began to
shoot inside the building striking multiple people.” He later updated that statement, saying there was a disturbance
“among several patrons and gunfire erupted striking multiple people.”

It wasn’t clear how many people opened fire.

The people who were shot were as young as 20 and as old as 44. At least one person suffered a graze wound and
declined medical attention, Jara said.

There was an attached garage with a bar set up inside, Brown said.

“At one point it may have been an old lounge that is obviously converted just for the pop-up party,” he said.
“We don’t know what the celebration associated with this party was at this point. We’re still trying to follow up
on leads on what that motive might be.”

Police spokesman Tom Ahern said the shooting took place inside the business near an open bar area.
It was unclear who the recovered weapons belonged to, Ahern said.

Brown said investigators had heard a rumor that someone left and came back and began shooting,
but he said authorities were “unable to confirm that rumor at this point. It’s still so early, particularly
with some of the witnesses in surgery right now that we haven’t been able to talk to.”

The Fire Department called an EMS Plan 3, which automatically dispatches 15 ambulances, a district chief,
media affairs, the chief paramedic, trucks and engines.

Ambulances took eight adults, both men and women, to hospitals in conditions ranging from serious to critical,
Hernandez said. One person died at the business and another person firefighters were taking to a hospital died,
he said. Police later said at least one person was in good condition, although that was not someone the
Fire Department transported.

“It appeared to be some type of a party. ... It was a chaotic scene when paramedics began doing triage,”
Hernandez said. He didn’t estimate the number, but said there were still plenty of partygoers around when crews arrived.

Red and black balloons could be seen on the ground outside the business, along with a single shoe.

“There were several vehicles that were being repaired or fixed next to it, and that’s where the party was,” he said.

Brown said police were unable to comment on whether there had been any liquor license violations or previous reports
of violations from the business, but it’s something detectives will look at, working in cooperation with the appropriate city departments.

“I can just tell you it’s going to be a really deep dive ... to determine any kind of violations in the past and we’ll hold
them accountable because of this incident,” he said.

Brown also said health department guidance hasn’t changed regarding the pandemic and holding a party, which he said
was a bad idea in general, but the focus remains on the loss of life.

“You’re jumping the gun if you think it’s OK to be in small, closed confinements. But No. 1 is obviously life safety with this
shooting, and the pandemic obviously is something that we continue to emphasize,” he said.

No arrests had been made Sunday morning.

“We have a lot of work to do. Detectives are really just getting started,” Brown said.

This is the second shooting with 15 people injured in less than a year. In July 2020, 15 people were shot outside a funeral
home in what police described as a revenge shooting in part of an ongoing gang rivalry. Newspaper records indicate the two
shootings, with 15 people injured in each, account for the most people ever shot in the city in a single event.

Mayor Lori Lightfoot took to Twitter in the hours after the shooting, saying, “It is tragic that the warmth of a spring day, at
a time we all crave the company of family and friends, resulted in shooting and death.”

“The prayers of all Chicagoans are with the families of the two people killed this morning and the many others wounded
following the outrageous shooting attack that occurred in Park Manor,” Lightfoot said.

She also issued a plea that someone who knows the responsible party or parties speak up and tell police that person or people’s names.

“The Chicago Police Department has teams investigating this attack as we speak, but people out there, people reading this,
know who pulled the trigger last night and know where the killer(s) laid their head(s) this morning,” Lightfoot wrote.

“For the mothers who will never hear their child’s voice again, and the children who will grow up without a parent, I urge you to
please support our city in this investigation so justice can be served and our families can move forward from this tragic and
heart-shattering loss,” she said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal note: Living on the far southside of Cook County, Il. I can say its almost becoming common place for shooting in and
around the suburbs of Chicago. It's a little un-nerving when they kill two people down the block from you - as happen
in the fall of last year - by our house. Gun violence is going up faster then most realize.
-
I read this report. A two-truck business and a bar. Sorta give's you the impression they haven't made many friends hauling
auto's away. The charges are outrageous for towing and illegal parking is common place in the city.
-
Bad blood most likely came into play whereas someone was stiffed in a tow and a few others as well - most likely seeking
revenge for towing fees. And then again it could've
just been random - maybe they weren't in or allowed in their pub?
-
It doesn't take much to light one's anger in Chicago - guns and drugs are still the name of big money - for those out of work or won't work.
-
Biker's are back on the scene - both white & black biker gang's are seen more and more as the weather begins to warm up.
Where we live it was once nice and quite. Steel mills went down and many lost jobs - and just backed up and night and left their homes.
-
Crime started going up more and more - housing values plummeted - couldn't sell the home and buy another. We have the worst crime
in area in the whole of Cook County.
-
Can't afford to sell the house unless we wanted to give it away. Wife is terrified and I don't blame her but she doesn't want to leave.
My kids moved into Munster & Cedar Lake, IN - both safer and better schools.
-
But all and all - if it's not racial shootouts it's gang banging. School's are still down in some areas but other's are now opening up.
-
Until this country can get over the racial issues and get them all back to work its not going to get any better.
-
Most of the Chicago police are under the gun for so called overly zealous police actions.
It's not a pretty picture many suburbs are seeing crime sour! What's the fix God only knows its been like this the last 10-15 years
and getting worse.
-
I fly my Flag in front of my house - have my VN shingle on my garage. A few black guys were even in the same service would stop by
and one was in boot camp the same time I was in. I get along with most but I'm leery as to their friends who seem to be eyeballing
all the neighbors houses.
-
But I'm soon to be 75 and I still have to keep my eye on everything!
-
It's a hell of way to live - always watching your back you'd swear you were in a war zone!
-

Well enough of my ramblings - but Chicago Is a dangerous town as are many of the suburbs. Keep your light on and God willing
they won't attempt anything. I've got protection and theft insurance but that still doesn't mean it's OK you rob me! If ya know what I mean.
-
Boats

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links