The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2003, 03:16 PM

Hye Ron,

Been there I know what you're saying. I recall many years ago some drunk on skid row asking me for a buck (wanted coffee - ya right). I said, Hey Pal I'm goin to lunch I'll buy. If you eat this lunch I'll give ya five and you can party.

Oh was he taken back by that. He didn't want any food just wanted a drink to knock himself back out of reality. They guys I was with were taken back by my offer to this guy.

After he paused I started to leave he said quickly OK I'll eat. He smelled like five month old cheese and he was ripe! I took him in to the dinner and ordered his food and he gag'ed on it the whole time. But after he ate he seemed to look better and talked better - but he did his thing and I gave $5 bucks and never saw that guy again.

I still payout every now and then the hard luck street types because I was almost there once. I am always amazed how people would buy you drinks when your down and out but never offered any food when that's what you needed to get your strength back.

I don't know why I said this - the guy above may be a jerk he may be an honest joe but a little precaution is always the best and I agree with you on this issue.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2003, 10:04 PM
Doc.2/47

Guys-

Locksly is and has been a close friend of mine.We've been huntin',fishin',and shootin' pards. for well in excess of 30yrs.I introduced him to the site a few months ago and he has done a little posting on the ancient and medieval areas as he has considerable interest in mil. history.I was without a computer when he ran into his current problems but -because the folks on this site have been more than helpful in matters relateing to the VA-I suggested that he ask for advice here.If he should not be mentioning his problem here blame me.

I am also leery of folks who don't give much in the way of bio. or history but please bare in mind that locksly is not in the best emotional state at the moment.Don't know about anybody else but I have also managed to misplace a couple of wives and kids along the way so this is very understandable to me.Don't know what it would be like after 28yrs.-never managed to make it that far along.Allow me to introduce you to locksly:

He is a 54 y/o Viet Nam era Navy vet.He spent at least 4yr.s on active duty and approx. 10 yrs. in the active reserve.He is not a combat vet but without the Navy quite a few of us would have been hurtin' for C's and ammo.While on active duty he recieved an injury to his left knee that resulted in the cartledge being removed and he recieved 10% SC for this.While this did not bother him all that much at the time the joint has worn completely out (bone to bone in that knee)over the years and it is continually swollen.Due to frequent falls when his knee "went out" he has also managed to damage his other knee to an unknown extent.He has little feeling and poor circulation below the knees and is constently damageing his feet becaue he doesn't know when they are being damaged.At present he is unable to walk or stand even with the use of a brace or walker.locksly has always been a BIG man.He stood 6'4 or 5" when he could stand and has always worked and played hard.He weighed aprox. 275# during his prime but with his increaseing lack of activity and his hormones (per VA) all screwed up he now weighs aprox. 500# which poses additional problems.The last time he went to a VA appointment it took the crews of two ambulances and a fire truck to get him there, so makeing it to an appointment is not a casual kind of thing.Now that his wife has left he is alone in a bed in his basement.He has a couple of sisters that live on the other side of Nashville who are stopping by to see that he has access to food and water every few days but should he fall while trying to get into his wheelchair he might or might not be able to crawl to a phone or get to his water,until someone came by to check on him.This is not a good situation.I consider myself to be one of his best friends but I live about a 2-hr. drive away,my wife and I both have fulltime jobs and we have one car between us so my ability to help is limited.locksly is 100% disabled by the Post Office but is still only considered 10% SC by VA.They have stated that you must be at least 30% SC to get home care.

This is NOT your problem.locksly did NOT post on here (at my suggestion) to get your sympathy or sponge some kind of handout.He posted on here on the off-chance that some of you folks might have and be willing to share some information that would help the situation.I have known some trully fine folks in my life,but I have known noone more willing to lend a hand when one was needed than locksly.It really hurts me that now that he needs one this best I can do can't help much.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:29 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default Locksly

I would suggest that you get hold of a service org.ASAP(DAV,PVA,VFW,etc.) You need to have your disability up-graded,and any one of these SOs would have a representitive help you with filing the claim.Good luck and don`t give up hope.

Peace,Griz
Old 06-11-2003, 07:09 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default just my opinion...

I agree. Get an advocate at DAV and have them contact your congressman ASAP. A 100% disability thru USPS should qualify you for some sort of welfare also, and possibly home health care. Good Luck. You are in my prayers.

Larry
Old 06-11-2003, 09:35 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Lightbulb Locksly

On May 11th I urged you to get a lawyer. Did you get one? It seems your wife beat you to the punch but that doesn't mean the game is over. Get your own blood sucking lawyer!

As far as the "contact a service organization", do it. Look when your constantly in pain you get very depressed, been there done that. Sometimes the hardest thing in the world is to pick up the phone and ask someone for help, been there, done that. Try this, tell yourself on Thursday (or pick another day but stick to That Day) that your going to get on the phone and keep talking until you get some action. Action from a service organization, the VA and Call a lawyer. The longest trip starts with only one step. I know steps are hard for you right now but ya just got to do it. Besides, giving up would give HER too damn much satisfaction.

Get better,
Andy
Old 06-11-2003, 08:14 PM

I got a lawyer but that isnt going too help me see my son on fathers day . The laws in TN. are set up to give every thing to the woman in a divorse.I will have to give her half of the house which means I am going to be homeless and bed ridden .I dont get enough income to buy her half out.so the house will be sold away from me after I paid 30years for it out of my pay only as my wife spent her money on cloths and shoes and pocketbooks. I have been trying to get more compensation from the V A for 30 years the legion failed me now the D A V IS TRYING BUT THE dam VA will not give me shit. I was to heavy to get a knee replacement when I went in the navy acording to the V A PAPER PUSHERS. I was 6 ft 5 in and 250 when I enlisted which is off their weight charts. Dam all insurance company weight charts too hell. I had to call my senator to just get some aritritas medicne as the V A cut me off for no reason several times ask doc if you dont belive me as he nows of my constant mistreatment by the VA .....
Old 07-03-2003, 10:20 PM

I have a lawyer and I sure hope he is as good as my friend says because my wife wants everything .SHE has been telling the shelter for abusted women that she is staying that I hit her . She is lieing too every one she sees . I have never toched her in my life when women want to get rid of a disabled veteran they will say any lie then confess ther sins to the priest for forgiveness.I hate to think what she has told the people at the V A Hospital in Nashville where she works.I havent even had an argument with the wife you cant talk to someone that want talk. I WISH I HAD never met GRETA MY back stabbing x-wife.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:39 AM

Default lack sly

My answer to your woes may be found in post #4, "How good are your powers of observation??????" under General Posts.
Old 07-05-2003, 08:49 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Another thing you might do

Get yourself a cellular phone. They are now as cheap as a regular phone and you can keep it in your pocket all day and put it in a charger by your bedside by night. You can get a good one for $30 a month. If you fall you would be able to call out.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:49 AM

Thanks 1CAVCCO15MED Thats a great idea I WILL GET ME A CELL PHONE .I have been wanting one for years .