The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Navy

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2003, 06:32 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Talking Broadcasts featuring the Navy

This is a listing of national
broadcasts featuring the Navy for the week of July 28 - Aug. 4.
All times are EDT unless otherwise noted.

Monday, July 28

2 p.m., History Channel -- History Alive: Battle History of the
Navy: Born into War
2:30 p.m., TLC -- Wedding Story: Angie and Art
3 p.m., History Channel -- History Alive: Battle History of the
Navy: Fire and Water
4 p.m., History Channel -- History Alive: Battle History of the
Navy: Steel Walls of Freedom
5 p.m., History Channel -- History Alive: Battle History of the
Navy: Second to None
6 p.m., History Channel--History Alive: Unsung Heroes: Navy
Corpsman: The Blood Angels

Tuesday, July 29
12 p.m., TLC -- A Makeover Story: Navy Homecoming
9 p.m., PBS -- Nova: Battle of the X-Planes

Thursday, July 31
5 p.m., TLC -- While You Were Out: Connecticut: Norwich
Avenue

Friday, August 1
10 p.m., PBS -- Nova: Battle of the X-Planes

Sunday, August 3
12 p.m., The History Channel -- Time Machine: Battle Group
Halsey

Monday, August 4
10 a.m., TLC -- Wedding Story: Gillian & Jonathan
Old 08-04-2003, 06:09 AM

sfc,

I think the reason I went into the Navy was my Uncle Lee who was a coxman at one of the beach heads during the invasion during WWII.

Later watch Victory at Sea I think really pushed my over the edge. It was black and white TV back then and it was the ocean that drew me to it.

I had to fight like hell to get sea duty as they like to rotate you for some internal reasons. But in 12 years I had nine and half years at sea and I wouldn't trade on of those days.

I've watch many specials on all of the conflicts its a good history lesson and helps you understand the mind set of the military back then and now.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 08:52 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Not sure why Pete chose the Navy. He took Jr. ROTC in High School because he's decided that he'd spend some time in the military.

More change coming. We'll just have to wait and see how it affects us and ours.
http://www.pentagon.mil/specials/transform/archive.html

Like the bumper sticker says "Proud Parents of a Navy Sailor"
Old 08-04-2003, 09:34 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Wink

Boats , I loved Victory at sea too , great music. Also The Modern Army was on Sat. morning , watched them both. However watching those guys bobbing around in the water after their ship got sunk convinced me to join the Army. Figured if I got shot I would just fall on the ground and nothing would eat me !
Old 08-04-2003, 09:55 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I told Pete that he could walk further than he could swim.

Darrel
Old 08-06-2003, 06:51 AM

DMZ-LT,

I don't think I was afraid of being eaten by fish. I grew up in the Mid-West and did a lot swimming. My uncle Lee (WWII USN) of whom I have great respect got out after the war and became a Chicago Fireman for 25 years (now retired living in Eagle River, WI).

So I wasn't afraid of the water. I wanted to see other lands and meet other people.

I wanted to see the sky at its very best. On some nights at sea the Moon would be down and the sky was pitch black and stars that went from horizon to horizon. It was like being in a huge fish bowl. Very awesome and very dramatic. It may you feel small and insignificant.

Even in rough seas there is something about the sea and its overwhelming power that draws you to it. At times huge waves 40 to 60' high and your on this piece of iron floating on it and guys are pitched back and forth, up and down - side to side.

I had flight swimming, parachuting and two survival schools which were mandatory back then. I had seven fire fighting schools some where the hair on your head got burned off.

They sent me to a black box division and though it was secret - it was boring so I volunteered for VN duty. I was gone in 60 days and sent for additional training. After that everything changed and I wasn't the same kid again. It happens to us all and life moves on for some of us and things are always changing.

I've been extremely lucky in life (and I thank the old man above)and I should underline that and I don't know why. There are many other's (from all wars not just VN) who didn't come back. I feel many could have contributed better to society then me. I miss George my best friend from school days who was killed in VN as were many others and to this day I will never totally understand why things went so wrong during that conflict.

It's man's inhumanity against others that has yet to be resolved in this world we live. Until we (the world) can come to grips with all the issues regarding thugs, drugs, starvation and medical issues we will always be fighting one conflict after another.

I don't think this will come in my life time but I hope my kids and grandkids can find some way to lessen the evil's that diminish our
way of life and pursuit of happiness. I will take this thought to my grave.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 08-06-2003, 07:16 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Wow Boats that was very well written and heartfelt. Thank you !
Old 08-13-2003, 03:34 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

national broadcasts featuring the Navy for the week of Aug. 12-18. All times are EDT unless otherwise noted.

Friday, Aug. 15
6 a.m., The History Channel -- The "Fighting I": The Story of the
USS Intrepid
9 a.m., The History channel -- F/A-18 Hornet

Saturday, Aug. 16
1 a.m., The History channel -- F/A-18 Hornet
12 p.m., The History channel -- F/A-18 Hornet

Monday, Aug. 18
11 a.m., The History Channel -- History Alive -- The
Battleships: Terror from Above
12 p.m., The History Channel -- Modern Marvels: The
Gunboats of Vietnam
5 p.m., The History Channel--History Alive The Battleships:
Terror from Above
6 p.m., The History Channel -- Modern Marvels: The Gunboats
of Vietnam
Old 09-01-2003, 12:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gunner Carvo Send a message via MSN to Gunner Carvo Send a message via Yahoo to Gunner Carvo
Distinctions
Contributor 

Why did I join the Navy? I opened a phone book, looked down, and it was staring at me, "Navy Recruiting Station". I knew the Air Force wouldn't take me, I didn't want to be Marine after meeting a few, the Army recruiters were the stereotypical "promise everything, give nothing" bastards, and the Chief at the Navy office told his guys that if any of them told a single lie to a person asking about the Navy they were fired no matter how much it hurt.

I can't swim worth a damn. I sink like a rock. That just motivates me more to protect my floating home and those around me. When people on-board ask me why I joined if I can't swim I tell them, "It's my job to protect the ship. Without any holes, she won't sink. I don't need to know how to swim." What's funny is I'm transferring to the desert next.

"Without me, the war will go on. With me, it could end." - me

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty." - JFK

"Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto."
(I bring not the rays of the sun but the thunderbolts of Jupiter)