The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2003, 03:32 PM

Andy, the date of the purple heart was Aug 7th, 67, where was the 25th Medical Evac. ? I was hit in both arms and left elbow which nearly got me a ticket home, all I got was two weeks out of the bush but I was lucky. I came home in one piece. Never will forget the terror and horror of that night, watched them kill our wounded and was helpless to do any thing about it. Can't shake the hatred I have no matter how I've tryed.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2003, 05:42 PM

Default ArtySgt

The following is a direct quote from the 1st Division year book regarding 1/28: The first days of August (1967) again brought the battalion to the "Dutchman's" on Highway 13 where it established FSB "Whiskey". Fierce fighting broke out during the second week and VC infiltrated the perimeter. The Black Lions defensive position became known as "Defiant Knoll."

Ring any bells?
Old 07-06-2003, 02:08 PM

Onesix, I've read that same book and thought it might be there but the facts are that we got hit the very same night we landed, Aug 7th. There was some on going fighting in the area afterward and there was another fire base not too far away that had a battery of 155mm guns. WE moved to join the 155mm battery after about three weeks from the time we got hit, I was told by the B.C. that it was felt we could not hold both positions if we got hit again. How often did you guys give an Arty unit a mounted Ak-47 ?
Old 07-08-2003, 08:03 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default ArtySgt

25th Med Evac was located at Cu Chi. I just took a few grenade frags in the head/face. Being Polish it did little harm, however the hospital stay was 10 days. Received a little damage to the left eye.
We never mounted an AK for anyone. However, later during my visit to RVN got into the habit of trading or selling NVA stuff for everything from a beer, to extra como, to cash. A mounted AK was a class act and obviously deserved.
In Aug. of '67 VC and NVA were probing US troops in III Corps, from the boarder to the triangle. Basically gathering intel and determining the best route to take during Tet from their rallying points to Saigon.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 07-08-2003, 08:07 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Track names

Larry, a guy on one of our Sheridans named his track " Someday " because he knew someday it would hit a mine ( we put that HUGH gun on point all the time) He did but he only got a few days in the rear. Had another guy paint a hugh bulls eye on his track after his 4th PH. My track had "short " written on one side - no one remembered who wrote it
Old 05-12-2008, 05:28 PM

Default Prek Lok

As I recall Prek Lok is the correct spelling.
I was there in 1967 for a short time.

It was abandoned, and as I understand, reoccupied by personnel of both sides.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:21 PM

Thumbs up Tay Ninh

Here is a site and story on the Prek Lok, Tay Ninh, Tay Ninh province just in case you have not been already to this site.
I found it a good read up

http://www.tomahawks.us/diary_15.htm
Old 01-13-2009, 05:28 AM

Default Do I know you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesix View Post
I was a rifle platoon leader with Charlie 2/28, hence my moniker here (onesix) which was my call sign as 1st platoon leader.

Were you ever the XO back in Lai Khe? Which CO were you under? Rogers? Helle? I served under Rogers, Arthur and Stocker....'68 thru '69 in 2nd platoon. Being in a flank squad I did about everything except hump the thumper; AG, gunner, RTO (2-2 kilo) for a bit, walked point for a bit then got swapped to 3rd squad and became 2-3. We got pretty short on men in mid '69 and on one mission I was a squad leader walking point while carrying th M-60. There were only 3 other guys in my squad that day. Kinda sucked having only two ammo bearers and a kilo.Herb "Rock" Johnson would have been in your platoon up until after Cantigny. He moved to 2nd platoon to replace SSGT Reid when he got wounded there. Battin may have been your medic...I guess I could drop names all day, huh?
Old 01-13-2009, 07:18 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blklion View Post

Were you ever the XO back in Lai Khe? Which CO were you under? Rogers? Helle? I served under Rogers, Arthur and Stocker....'68 thru '69 in 2nd platoon. Being in a flank squad I did about everything except hump the thumper; AG, gunner, RTO (2-2 kilo) for a bit, walked point for a bit then got swapped to 3rd squad and became 2-3. We got pretty short on men in mid '69 and on one mission I was a squad leader walking point while carrying th M-60. There were only 3 other guys in my squad that day. Kinda sucked having only two ammo bearers and a kilo.Herb "Rock" Johnson would have been in your platoon up until after Cantigny. He moved to 2nd platoon to replace SSGT Reid when he got wounded there. Battin may have been your medic...I guess I could drop names all day, huh?
He doesn't post here much any more. He does post frequently on the History Channel forums as "Leg" though.

http://boards.history.com/forum/Vietnam-War/89

"Welcome Home" Brother !!! and "Welcome Aboard" !!

Larry
Old 01-13-2009, 09:53 AM

Default Blklion

That sounds like me. Herb "Rock Johnson" was in my platoon. Do you remember Ray "Red" Williams? I started out under Coppedge as the CO. After 5 months as a platoon leader Rogers took over. By then I was a 1st Lieutenant and was promoted to XO (such an honor!!!) 2Lt Montoya took over my platoon. Eventually reassigned on a levy to MACV to a MAT team in the Delta.