The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2009, 01:08 PM

Default Onesix

You were before my time then so, no, I didn't know Williams. Montoya made 1st lieutenant and became XO as well so the 1st platoon "tradition" was carried on. I thought you WERE Montoya which is why I didn't drop his name. This means you missed Julie, Cantigny, Junction City and all the rest of that fun stuff we got involved in. Not too many early '68 BL's online for some reason...and least not many that give out their email addresses. I've been piecing together a company chronology starting in October '68 thru to Feb '70 when the colors were folded up and the 2/28th went home. I could have stated earlier but haven't found many to help with some of the details of where and when. Along with the chrono I've got map scans with the NDP's, FSB's and other points of "interest' marked up plus am compiling a CD of photos from various members that are willing to contirbute. It's all kind of fun but it seems that for every one thing I discover there are two more revealed that need to be discovered...it's getting like it'll never end!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2009, 01:56 PM

Default Blklion

The real "fun stuff" was the battle of Ong Than. I am in contact with William's brother who in turn is in contact with many who followed me, including Montoya and many who were at Julie. Contact him via snail mail and tell him "Don" put you on to him. He should be able to put you into contact with others: John Williams, 18256 66th Avenue, Tinley Park, IL 60477-4139

Also go to the Black Lion website and join if you are not already a member. For members only, they put out an annual roster of the 28th Infantry Regiment, names, battalion, dates assigned etc.

Good Luck
Old 01-13-2009, 06:29 PM

Default Onesix

Ong Thanh was pretty much missed by C company. They were elsewhere securing for the 15th Arty (I think) and were brought in after the fact for the final sweep and recovery. I am a member of the Black Lion Society and actually assisted Ed Burke with the original contact list when the society first started. My searches now have me with a list of over 170 names of Charlie company members spanning the years my chrono is covering. Once I complete my portion maybe someone else will pick up the pieces and go further back with it. As it is, just the short span I'm covering is almost more than one person can handle. Gathering and gleaning the details of where and when is a pretty daunting task and then having to sort through photos to figure out where they were taken is yet another task. Next is "bumping" the photos to bring back the color and also remove any anomolies (dirt, fisheyes, wrinkles, etc.) and finally you get to identifying the individuas in the photos based on 40 year old memories. I haven't repeatedly contacted anyone that hasn't shown interest in my endeavor so the "field of play" is pretty much limited to just a few individuals thus far. Perhaps when this is as completed as I can go then I can submit it all to Ed Burke who might be able to drum up more interest from other society members. It's a tough row to hoe but there's a Black Lion at the plow handle so it will get done. I'm still very new here so haven't figured out all the formatting and stuff when posting. Sorry about that...it should improve with time though. I'm still trying to figure out where the heck a guy has to go to edit the "About Me" profile stuff!
Old 01-13-2009, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

Blklion click "User CP" on the horizontal page navigation. Then click "Edit Profile" on the vertical left hand profile page navigation.

Welcome to the site and thank you for pointing out that missing link