The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2004, 06:32 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Emperor -
Wasn't thinking of exiting just yet... but more along the lines of reducing/eliminating (if possible) resentment which is almost sure to arise if they feel forced into the labyrinthine electoral process Americans are blessed/burdened with. I see that risk of tyranny as you do pretty much... however, there they are dealing with a putative "nation", if I may so state... one whose actual borders were imposed long ago by european hegemony and whose governments (of each kind that had emerged) had been diddled with by the border drawers following the flow of petroleum for often very selfish reasons, and whose dominant religion is not about to admit of patience, kindness, tolerance or love either of one another nor, clearly, of any other faith.
It strikes me somewhat like a fistfight between very young siblings, where one is obviously going to win, but only after some hard knocks and blood, plus some joyless acceptance of bruised egos. As a father, my tendency would be to lock the combatants in a room, put in the ear plugs (or perhaps work in my shop), and return at a time convenient to myself, unlock the door, and offer water or possibly bandages.

Not personally knowing for sure the actual strength of a direct democracy movement in Iraq, nor the degree to which their opposition actually yet grasps the utter (and largely obfuscated) complexity of an American (or British, for that matter) democratic process... it just seems common sensical for they who demand direct vote to be given an opportunity to exercise it.

Like you, I would hope for adult supervision along the way... yet I am also wary that of the two sides, it is those who wish direct democracy who are the more likely to get back behind ramparts sniping at our men than would be the other.... perhaps an unwarranted or an unwise assumption on my part?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links