The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Navy

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-25-2004, 06:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62
Default Saving Aircraft Carriers?

Saving Aircraft Carriers?
I am a bit of a realist, more so than a dreamer. I tend to see the negative aspects of projects and life in general. While not always accepted I think my point of view has a place, someone has to ask the tough, unpopular questions at times. That tends to be me.
Over the past few years there have been efforts made to save every one of the decommissioned Aircraft Carriers. These are our "Super Carriers" not the fine ships from WW2 Vintage. Most recent of the older carriers to be saved was the USS Midway. She's found a new home in San Diego, California. http://www.midway.org/ That said there are the Super Carriers to contend with.
The USS Forrestall CV-59 her move to Baltimore, Maryland seems to have been stalled for quite some time. http://www.forrestal.org/ She currently sits at the SIMA Pier in Newport, Rhode Island.
The USS Saratoga CV-60 her move to Quonset Point, Rhode Island seems to have run aground as well. That said the task to save this ship has been given the most effort, that has paid off in terms of getting something done. http://www.saratogamuseum.org/ She currently sits at the SIMA Pier in Newport, Rhode Island. If saved she'll have the shortest trip to make to her new home. This is significant due to the costs of towing one of these ships any distance.
The USS Ranger CV-61 her move to Tacoma, Washington http://www.ussrangercv61.org/ She current sits in Bremerton, Washington. Ranger is not even slated for the "donation" list yet so this effort is still in it's infancy.
The USS America CV-66, she's due to be sunk this year. Scuttlebutt heard among us old sailors was that she was decommissioned so early due to her poor material condition. (01/65 to 08/96)
http://ussamerica-museumfoundation.org/
Now after four years since her decommissioning, there are the starts of an effort to save the USS Independence CV-62. What has prompted this are two things. The decommissioning of the USS Kitty Hawk and the unconfirmed rumor that Indy will be sunk. Keep in mind that Indy was an East Coast Carrier and she has wound up on the wrong coast, sitting idle in Bremerton, Washington.
Question is, can she be saved at all, is the effort to late? Have the powers to be all been bombarded by requests to save these and other boats. Keep in mind that there are all kinds of efforts being made to save smaller ships of the fleet as well. Is it worth saving her, more so to keep us old sailors happy? Remember we're talking about a number close to 195,000 give or take a thousand or so.
A few big problems come to mind. MONEY being the biggest thing, figures reach in to the 20 million mark. Where to put her if she is saved?
I'm just asking those of you who may have connection to these ships what you think.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2004, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

Personally, being a Navy brat and having been on cruises aboard many of these ships, I would like to see them all saved. I do not know how much the general public connects with them though. It always amazes me how little most civilians know about the military in general. It is most likely key to somehow involve the general public to be able to raise the money needed to keep these ships afloat. I have never seen a ship saved outside of the role of floating museum. I have not been on any of the floating museums so I do not know what they entail as far as visitor interaction. I would imagine the more interaction the better, especially nowadays with the advent of computers and video games in most homes. I wonder what it would be like to take a civilian cruise to Hawaii or Alaska on a diesel retrofitted nuclear carrier.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Having been aboard the USS Intrepid in NYC, I must sad it was a bit disheartening. The ships condition is not any where near wear it should be. A lot of the brass cover plates are missing, paint does not match from space to space, decks are in lousy shape not to mention the flight deck.
I have also seen the FID and Sara sitting, rotting at the old SIMA pier in Newport, RI. I don't know which is worse.
Somehow the ships in moth balls are a sadder site to see, but the poor condition of the museum ships is a dishonor to the public not to mention those who served on these fine ships.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown