The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2004, 10:04 AM

Default That could still be 'one part of the picture'

MORTARDUDE, this still fits the pattern. Of course if your depression (outbursts, too I imagine) were a chemical damage of the Central Nervous System - No medications would help anyway, and you could easily say drug resistant Cyclothymia

I think you should insist on a check of the red blood cells at your next doctor visit ... if you have these assorted symptoms

I didn't know what this was, so I looked it up.
Quote:
CYCLOTHYMIA by Barry Aberle: A persistent instability of mood, involving numerous periods of mild depression and mild elation. The instability develops in early adult life and pursues a chronic course, although at times the mood may be normal and stable for months at a time. The mood swings are usually perceived by the individual as being unrelated to lifes events. The diagnosis is difficult to establish without a prolonged period of observation or an unusually good account of the individual's past behavior. Because the mood swings are relatively mild and the periods of mood elevation may be enjoyable, cyclothymia frequently fails to come to medical attention. In some cases this may be because the mood change, although present, is less prominent than cyclical changes in activity, self-confidence, sociability, or appetitive behavior. The onset may be specified as early as late teens or as late as the 20's .

Diagnostic Guidelines: The essential feature is a persistent instability of mood, involving numerous periods of mild depression and mild elation, none of which has been sufficiently severe or prolonged to fulfil criteria for bipolar affective disorder or recurrent depressive disorder. This implies that individual episodes of mood swings do not fulfil the criteria for any categories descibed under manic episode or depressive episode.

This disorder is common in the relatives of patients with bipolar affective disorder and some individuals with cyclothymia eventually develop bipolar affective disorder themselves. It may persist through adult life, cease temporarily or permanently, or develop into more severe mood swings meeting the criteria for bipolar affective disorder or recurrent depressive disorder.

References: Cyclothymia, World Health Organization, Internet Mental Health Phillip W. Long MD
They have your blood sample anyway, what would it hurt to ask the lab tech to LOOK at the red blood cells and comment AND to get the 'Retic' ratio. It's only about a $50 extra blood test; the absolute cell count is part of the routine blood test, and that is important; AND so is kidney and liver function

The best!

PS

This gulf war vet, enough is enough didn't have a very good experience, so realize that could happen.

Maybe you could get pre-approval for these blood tests & have the results by the time of your appointment? And if the doctor isn't interested, don't get your hopes up just to have them dashed. Look for a good hematologist!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2004, 05:06 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Fred, lot of people died not holding a friendly hand. You were a blessing . Ain't nothing to forgive , you done good . Thank you for your service. See ya soon. Thank you.
Old 03-07-2004, 05:46 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Doc, your my hero

What you did was by far more heroic and took more fortitude that most could ever dream of having. Combat heros are made because they happened to be in the right place at the wrong time. Medics chose to be there, just knowing that you and those like you were behind us is what made guys like me move forward. You helped me and saved my life 30+ years ago. It dosen't take bravery to kill people it takes bravery to save people, you are the bravest man I know. Never take that for granted.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:13 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default DOC

What John and Sid said.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:23 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Larry -
I was not there to offer a friendly hand.

I was not there to open or receive fire.

I was not there to carry a load or a radio.

I was not there to ease a pain or close a wound.

I was not there to fill out a paper.

I was not there to even say a prayer.

I wrenched on airplanes and trained crews to go do stuff.

Embarassing... humiliating.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:49 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Mike :

Do you have any idea how many times air power saved the lives of American troops ? You job was as important as anybody else's job.

Larry
Old 03-08-2004, 05:34 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default OK, Group hug at the campout

Blue, Be there or be square. Larry, Look forward to seeing you.

PSYCOVETS RULE.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:30 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Sorry I didn't call anybody over this past weekend. My wife has near pnuemonia and a ruptured eardrum from coughing so much. My mother has been ill also, and there are my two sons to deal with !?!?!....I am just trying to get past April 2 ( my retirement date )...Thanks to all !!!

Larry