The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2004, 10:33 AM

Post Wheelchair bound could get lift

Wheelchair bound could get lift from latest SUNY patent

(Albany - AP) ? A device designed by State University of New York researchers to help wheelchair-bound people avoid potentially deadly pressure sores has earned its second US patent.

Officials say the device by SUNY Farmingdale researchers uses cushioned support slats raised and lowered by small electric motors that relieve pressure points of people confined to wheelchairs most of the day. The massaging action also speeds the healing of existing sores and ulcers.

The device was developed at the request from Perry Cahoon, chairman of the board of the Colquhoon Foundation, who suffered from wheelchair sores. Cahoon made the request to the research center in 1996 and Professor Mahendra Shah took on the problem as a mechanical engineering challenge. Shah created the cushion with Professor Emeritus Arthur Ezra.
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links