The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-01-2005, 01:49 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up 31DEC68

After almost 11mos. BACK in Nam, I'm on a Freedom Bird headed back to The World. As happens when flying from that side of the world to this, I almost beat myself back home and land at Travis AFB on 31DEC67! It's at night and raining to beat hell. Nobody cares. We're put on buses and taken to Oakland Army Base, where we're fed a GREAT steak dinner in the mess hall. The guys that are to be reassigned to other duty stations are taken to a barracks for the night, to be processed in and sent on there ways home the next day. The handful of us that are to ETS, are processed out of the Army for the rest of the night by a skeleton crew of guys pulling duty on New Years Eve. To their credit, I don't see one of them that is openly hostile to us about doing this. By the following morning, I'm promoted from E-5 to Civilian.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Old 01-01-2005, 04:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 
Thumbs up

My company and an ARVN company made an air assault along the Song Thao Ma in the Nam Hoa District in I Corp and made contact New Years Day 69' near Firebase Mexico. After making a sweep, when the enemy broke contact, we found seven AK's and one .51. Also found in one of the bunkers, $400,000 in VC tax scrip that was used as receipts to be given to villagers for the rice and other things, they seized........Happy New Year - VN style.

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 06:33 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Happy New Year Homie . Don;t mean nothing .
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote