Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2005, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Vietnam's PM To Visit Washington

AP

Vietnam's prime minister announced on Thursday that he plans to become the communist country's highest-ranking leader to visit the United States since the Vietnam War ended 30 years ago.

Phan Van Khai told reporters during an official visit to Australia that he will travel to Washington at the end of next month, but it was not immediately clear who he would meet with there.

"Thirty years has passed since the end of the war; this is the first-ever visit by a leader of a unified Vietnam to the United States," said Khai, who typically does not take questions from foreign media.

Officials at the U.S. Embassy in Vietnam said they could not confirm the trip, and Vietnam's Foreign Ministry declined to provide additional details.

Khai's comments came a day before U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Robert B. Zoellick was expected to visit Vietnam to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the normalization of diplomatic relations between the former foes.

The two countries have grown closer in the past decade in a number of areas, and rumblings of a prime ministerial visit to the U.S. have been circulating in Hanoi for months.

"The purpose of my visit to the United States is to elevate our relationship to a higher plane," Khai said during a joint news conference with Australian Prime Minister John Howard.

In 2000, Bill Clinton became the first American president to visit Vietnam since the war ended in 1975. A year later, the countries signed a landmark trade deal that has grown far beyond both sides' expectations ? netting $6.44 billion in two-way trade last year.

Other high-level visits have also taken place, including Vietnam Defense Minister Pham Van Tra's historic meeting in November 2003 with Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld in Washington. Tra became the first senior military official of Hanoi's government to visit the United States.

That same month, a U.S. Navy ship paid a port call to what is now called Ho Chi Minh City ? another first since the former U.S.-backed South Vietnam surrendered to communist forces on April 30, 1975. The 30th anniversary of that date was celebrated with red silk banners, a colorful parade and speeches over the weekend in the former Saigon.

While maintaining its communist roots, Vietnam has been moving toward a market economy. It is pushing to join the World Trade Organization and is currently involved in bilateral negotiations with the United States that would help boost the communist country's plan to enter the global trade body.

But despite the warming relations, some friction remains.

Last year, the State Department named Vietnam as one of the world's worst violators of religious freedom. Vietnam has recently released a handful of dissidents from jail but continues to detain and harass those who refuse to worship in Communist-approved churches.

The Agent Orange issue also continues to loom. A U.S. court recently dismissed a class-action lawsuit filed by Vietnamese accusing American companies of war crimes for making the defoliant, used to destroy jungle cover for Vietnamese troops.

Washington insists there is not enough scientific evidence to link Agent Orange to health problems. The dispute scuttled a joint research project on the defoliant earlier this year after the two sides couldn't agree on parameters for the study.

Vietnamese Prime Minister Phan Van Khai
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2005, 03:31 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default I shot at him

more than once

Ron
Old 05-05-2005, 05:42 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking

Your my hero Ron. I think I even hit one or two.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:04 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

The guy in the background looks like the VC that Interrogated (tortured) US troops in Hanoi during the war (in pictures I seen as a kid on the news) of GI's forced to read prepared statements for propaganda on the evening news
Old 05-06-2005, 06:51 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I think Andy boinked his wife....or daughter. Hay Phan, he lives in Mass.....please go visit him before he's had his coffee!

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 05-07-2005, 02:14 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Paco
Thats his step daughter.....I let him adopt her when I left Vietnam
It was the only thing to do, being that he was married to her mother.....
Yup.....she met the infamous dancing banana
Bob K

God bless the ACLU