The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2002, 06:47 AM

Wazza, the aforementioned quote was probably Will Rogers' most famous quote. His trademark was twirling a lasso while telling his stories, homespun humor and political sarcasm. But his was a gentle humor and never mean-spirited. Those were, of course, different times............

We're aware of the nuclear testing sites in New Mexico. I've been in Illinois for most of my life, except for the 8 years in Tucson when I was a kid. As far as nuclear testing in New Mexico, I think there's just as much danger here in Illinois. All of the nuclear waste from our eastern states passes through Illinois about 8 miles from our home - or will do so - to be stored out west in Nevada. That, in my opinion, is a disaster waiting for a time. Illinois politics also sucks, and now it looks like the mayor of Chicago may end up running the state through a puppet governor. Our taxes are also onerous; 68% of our yearly property tax goes to support a wasteful and inefficient school system.

Regarding history, I'm propably wrong, but I don't recall being taught much about Australia, except perhaps for its wildlife. I was taught nothing of its history.

Jeff
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2002, 08:39 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default THANK YOU...Wazza.

After all, it's not often that any Americans are exposed to the realistic facilities provided for the typical non-Union Workers of Australia. Still, one must admit that The Photo does give new meaning to the phrase: "Down Under".

Regardless, and to somewhat paraphrase a great American Mind (no doubt): "Don't let people shit-all-over-you". "Open your mouth",...does explain much.

Neil
Old 11-02-2002, 11:20 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default wazza

Quote:
The drought is terrible, worst in 100 years. all tied up with El-nino. We had a dust storm last week 1200 miles wide 100 million tons of topsoil gone.

Drought is Oz wide. Water restriction in Melbourne last week and Sydney very soon. The grass around my house is almost dead. Not that I water it anyway. Our national wheat crop is expected to be half what is normally is.
Really sorry to hear this. I have friends that have family histories rooted in the dust bowl times of Oklahoma. Hard, hungry times for all. I hope you aren't going to live through like times. Keep us posted regard this. Our media seems more interested in bringing us news about some starlet taking clothes from some upscale Beverly Hills establishment.

Arrow>>>>>>

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 11-02-2002, 01:59 PM

Australia
Is not a big subject as far as history/Geography goes up here. From what I recall, all we were taught was "Island/continent (are you still continent?), Captain Cook, penal colony (got lots of Irish names down there?), neat marsupials (as long as they stay there and don't eat my garden) and enough poisionous creatures slithering around to make South Chicago look like Disneyland." There are a few references to Gallipoli and North Africa and if you look hard, you'll find that the cruiser "Cannberra" was sunk off Guadalcanal. Considering the state of education here, I wouldn't be surprised if the average Aussi kid knows more of American history than ours do.
Sue, we learn even less about Canada, it seems. Please tell me that Ottawa is the capitol - it's what I've been telling my kids. That and B.C. is in the west, Newfoundland is in the east, and Montreal is across from Detroit (where my brother scuttled to after I got back from the Nam - hell, he was Air Farce!).
As for Mexico, I know Tijuana and illegal immigrant - tho why should they want to run from drug dealers and corrupt politicians to our drug dealers and corrupt politicians I can't understand unless it's the better pay and more room to hide.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:21 AM

Ken, Tim, Jeff, Neil & Lil Sparra

Gotta a good idea about Will after visit'n the site.

I know we're only a little country but as you said we are the largest island and the smallest continent. But most of our people have the biggest hearts. [except'n for terrorists].

I think Scamp said he was on the Canberra, must ask him about the sinking.

I guess kids in Oz know about USA because of Rock 'n Roll, Elvis and the other great rockers from the fifties, plus WWII. It's a shame your people don't know more about us because it's a wonderful place to visit AND live but I know it's a long way across and a lotta money to get here when Europe is so close. Still it's safer to come to Oz than anywhere else on the planet.

I guess we'll become more popular when all the uranium around the rest of the world runs out 'cause we've got heaps of it.

One thing about the dust storm was that the soil is so rich in iron that when it settles on the ocean the plankton go ballistic , grow super quick and the fish stocks improve. Everything has a purpose.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:10 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

An interesting Australian sight and a bit of local culture that I found real curious. One thing that is common to see on the older Government buildings is patterns of vertical arrowheads. As it turns out that was the identifying pattern on the prisoners uniforms during Penal Colony times. So as the prisoners built things they naturally included their signature/recognition mark. At least in Perth, that is important stuff and no one messes with the arrows, for sure.

Scamp
Old 11-05-2002, 04:12 AM

Do any of you folks know what the 'frog' is on a brick. A brick being a hard baked clay object 9"x4"x3". Iam being serious
Attached Images
File Type: gif remote1.gif (74.7 KB, 56 views)
Old 11-05-2002, 10:34 AM

Default Wazza...More than you ever wanted to know about brick frogs

"Currently there is no industry consensus on how to lay a brick unit that has a frog. A frog is a depression in one bearing face of a molded or pressed brick. The frog reduces the weight of the brick and makes it easier to remove from the forms.

ASTM specifications C 62 (building brick) C 216 (facing brick) and C 652 (hollow brick) all set limits on the size of frogs. Frogs can't be closer than 3/4 inch to any edge of the brick. Frogs greater than 3/8-inch deep at any point are treated the same as cores. Frogs less than 3/8-inch deep don't affect the net area of the unit.

Some experts say that bricks containing frogs should be laid with the frog up so that the frog is completely filled with mortar. If the brick is laid with the frog on the bottom, the frog may not get completely filled with mortar. This would make the brick wall only face-shell bedded, which produces less wall strength than full mortar bedding.

Other experts say brick should be laid with the frog down. They give two reasons. First, a uniform bed of mortar can be laid more easily on the face that doesn't contain a frog. If the frog is less than 3/8-inch deep, the mortar bed should be able to fill the frog. Second, if the frog is laid up, it can hold water, which may contribute to early brick deterioration.

Most masonry walls built today are not highly stressed bearing walls. Water penetration and resulting freeze-thaw damage are greater problems. Thus, I recommend laying brick with the frog on the bottom."

Informationfound with asearch engine named "Ixquick".
http://ixquick.com/eng/

ken

Old 11-05-2002, 12:47 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Dem frogs.

The issue is about lateral strength of the structure. Sort of like a cinder block, if the frog is well buttered with mortar, there will be an interlocking effect when cured and set and this has a much higher sheer strength than just mortar adhesion against flat brick. Around this neck of the woods, about the only place red brick will be found is around a garden or as deco home facing stuff. Industrial/commercial construction uses cinder block and a lot of re bar reinforcement or pre fab cement walls with a lot of re bar. Earthquakes, frost heaves and mom nature stuff like that mandates that structures be somewhat compliant yet don?t come crashing down when a slow roller hits.

I vote for the frog down as well. When the mortar becomes an anhydrous adhesive, ya don?t want any moisture seepage to horizontally work it?s way between brick lawyers and find any pockets. This would be an excellent way to pop the top brick lawyers off or get some serious cracks going if freezing weather comes around. I think I?m saying the same thing as Ken but possibly from a perspective of a guy that built a brick garden wall once upon a time and then had to go figure out how to do the job properly after winter weather did it?s bad news work. But then, there is always time to do a job over, right.

Scamp
Old 11-05-2002, 01:36 PM

Default More frog doo-doo

Anybody knowwhy they call it a frog ? Why not a mortice like in woodwork? kinda the same principle, ain't it ?