The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2005, 08:47 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default The DAY

RW
There was 3 helicopters shot down in one day trying to get ammo and medevac to us during that battle I mentioned. I beleive this was 10/5/67. I'm checking my notes. It was the day after the 2 guys drowned
Was this part of your unit? Know about this? 3 slicks in one day in one place would have been fairly notable. THe NVA were usiing 50 cals, another sign they had their shit together. They were all shot down inside or close to our perimieter and as far as I know all the crews were recovered, some may have been woounded. We had a few of em roaming around wanting to borrow weapons. I REmember one WO running around cursing because he only had a .38 (Did I say there was a battle going on?)
Stay good
James
Old 11-30-2005, 05:09 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default James

I do beleive I was somewhere around Tam Ky in early oct 67, Later in Oct We C-A to Kontum, A 173 unit got hit there and we went to help. C-A in a chinook.

Ron
Old 12-01-2005, 01:08 PM

I was in the Americal from March 22, 1969 to March 14, 1970. Hill 69 was the first HQ for my battalion in late 1967. We came there in November 1967 after a one-month orientation at Duc Pho. From there they went to places like LZ Baldy and LZ Young. They settled for almost 18 months at LZ Professional, an isolated AO in the mountains, 69-70. They went further in the mountains to LZ Mary Ann. Then moved with the rest of the 196th Brigade to the outskirts of Danang after the Americal stood down. The 196th stood down in the summer of 1972. 1/46th left in June 72. In September the 2/1 of the 196 became the last infantry battalion to leave Vietnam.

When I was there Chu Lai was built up to its peak. Our battalion TRAINS are was there. We would go back there for 2-day stand-down breaks. But otherwise I was in TRAINS just enough to be processed into the battalion and for clearing when I left, though I did get about six weeks working at the 27th MASH along HWY 1. Across HWY 1 from us was a Marine Engineer outfit.

An Tan was the village outside the Chu Lai compund. It had been swelled by people that came in to take the jobs at the Chu Lai basecamp.
"No one has greater love than this; to lay down one's life for one's friends.". John 15:13
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote